Topic

feedback on UL list for Fall in GA/NC mountains

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists feedback on UL list for Fall in GA/NC mountains

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    ANTHONY FRANKLIN

@redwood82

Locale: Piedmont of the Carolinas

Looking for some feedback on this list. I am assuming daytime temps warm enough to hike in shirt and shorts, but need pants and a fleece if they dip too low. I hate the weight penalty of carrying extra clothes, but I don't see needing much while I am moving and exerting energy.

Shelter
    MYOG Silnylon pack 12.0 oz.
    Kelty Light Trekker 30 degree 40.0 oz.
    MYOG 5.5 x 10 Tarp 8.0 oz.
    MYOG bivy w/ bug net 16.0 oz.
    Poly ground sheet
    GG Nightlight Pad 3.3 oz.
    Cooking and fire
    Ketalist kit 11.1 oz.
    cat can stove 0.2 oz.
    waterproof matches 0.3 oz.
    wax firestarter 0.5 oz.
    bottle for alcohol 0.25 oz.
    alcohol 1.0 oz.
    1L bottle w/gorilla tape 2.3 oz.
    Aqua Mira 1.5 oz.
    Extra clothing
    fleece pullover 10.0 oz.
    synthetic pants 10.0 oz.
    emergency rain poncho 1.75 oz.
    kelty rain / wind jacket 10.0 oz.
    extra wool socks 1.68 oz.
    hat 3.5 oz.
    bandanna (two) 1.0 oz.
    First Aid
    dry bag 0.8 oz.
    pain meds, bandages, moleskin 1.15 oz.
    ace bandage 1.8 oz.
    Hygeine
    dry bag 0.5 oz.
    toothbrush (cut down) and paste 0.9 oz.
    camp soap 1.0 oz.
    toilet paper 0.5 oz.
    chapstick deodorant 0.5 oz.
    Misc
    Mora 511 fixed blade knife 3.5 oz.
    patzyl headlamp 1.65 oz.
    paracord 0.6 oz.
    deet 1.0 oz.
    Smartphone 3.5 oz.
    Food 2.5 day supply of food 55.0 oz.

Water 1L 35.2 oz.

Base Total 9.28 pounds

Total w/food and water 14.92 pounds

I feel like I have included everything, rather than count the basics and throw the tinier miscellaneous stuff in at the last minute, still under 15 pounds with 2 days of food. Most of this gear was put together on a budget. I forsee maybe swapping out the ketalist for a titanium mug to cook in. Its really just for boiling water for freezer bag cooking and a cup of tea at night.

A lighter quilt or sleeping bag might be in my future, but quite pricey and I do love my kelty bag for the meantime. Trying to get the best bang for the buck in cutting weight, if that makes sense.

Any reccomendations that stand out to anyone??

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I would probably leave that 1 pound bivy at home. Your tarp is 10 feet long and your emergency poncho could proside some support if it really did get too windy. I assume you bag likely has some dwr on it for any splash as well.
    I use a titanium bowl from backcountry that only cost about $15, I believe. If you want cheap Ti, that's a good way to go.
    I wish I could get by sleeping on that nightlight pad alone; enjoy it while you can. With a quart of whiskey, I might be able.

Stephen P

@spavlock

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Shouldn't need Deet in the fall. Stoic Ti kettle on sale at backcountry.com right now for $20.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

What is the poncho for if you have a rain jacket?

What is the ground cloth for if you have a bivy?

Could you use a lighter knife?

Indeed for more money, as you mentioned, you could replace your bag or bivy. $150-$200 save 10-20 oz.

EnLightened Equip REvX 30 F 19.25 oz in 6'reg. $180

Golite 1 season Quilt 19oz, $150,

Saving almost 20oz (will need a hat) but also lightening your wallet by a similar amount

ANTHONY FRANKLIN

@redwood82

I have a down bag so I am paranoid about keeping it dry. The bivy is mostly for that but also the critters and creepy crawlers which I don't want to sleep with. I might look into just whipping up a bug bivy from mesh, that could weigh 5-6 oz versus my Silnylon bivy with zipper at 16 oz.

Cool, it looks like the Stoic Ti is just under 4 oz and cheaper than others I had been looking at! Could be good weight savings for the money spent. My Ketalist kit was purchased with hiking with my wife in mind since it can boil enough for two.

The DEET was for ticks mostly. I think ill keep it.

The poncho provided more coverage if I am hiking in all-out rain (its longer) but its not that durable. The rain jacket could keep me warm in cold wind and more comfortable to wear than a cheap poncho. I guess I should choose one or the other, just torn on the decision.

The ground cloth was to protect the bivy's silnylon bottom from puncture.

I've looked into Gerber's lightweight folding knife, it could save 2 oz or so.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

If you leave the bivy(or take just a mesh one) you can put your rainjacket around the foot of your bag in wet and windy weather.

ANTHONY FRANKLIN

@redwood82

I might do that then. A mesh bivy and substituting the Stoic Ti should save me almost a pound right there.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Depending on your budget the stoic somnus 30 is on sale for $209 right now, it only weighs 1.59 ish pounds.

Definitely get a ti pot for one, get a ti spoon too. Kabar 13 fixed blade is only an ounce and it costs $10.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

At our Coop's delic counter they have the corn based plastic utensils, fairly strong and light, and free-ish

ANTHONY FRANKLIN

@redwood82

I have a plastic spork under an oz that I don't have to worry about breaking like a restauraunt freebie poses. Ive looked at ti ones too, but the cost for the weight saved wasn't as "efficient"

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Backcountry has a stoic spoon for 5 bucks on sale. It will never break or melt.

Tyler Johnson
    BPL Member

@riemannia

Locale: Northeast Georgia

Since you've already dabbled a bit in MYOGing and probably know your way around a sewing machine, you should consider sewing your own quilt. You could easily make one out of 2nds ripstop and 5 oz APEX insulation for $60 in materials. I'm procrastinating on sewing a down quilt at this very moment myself!

ANTHONY FRANKLIN

@redwood82

A lighter bag or quilt is definitely on my list for the future, probably next year though. I'm a bit burnt out from being hunched over my sewing machine making my pack, bivy, and tarp already. And given the expense of a nice UL quilt, I would probably not be purchasing this season either if I went the route of buying one.

Trying to wittle down the more economical items before tacking more expensive purchases. With the advice of a couple here, I'm already right at 8 pounds base weight, which will be a huge first for me!

Brad Fisher
    Spectator

@wufpackfn

Locale: NC/TN/VA Mountains

I think you need to provide a little more detail:

Fall: Sept to Nov can see big temp changes. Approx 20 degrees
    What elevation are you planning to camp at? 6,000 ft in Sept could see lows of high 40s. In Nov you could be looking at high 20s.
    What kind of mileage are you planning? If you are looking at 25-30 miles then every oz counts. However if you are looking at 10-15 miles then a little extra weight isn't really material (IMHO).

In Sept I would take bug protections, but I wouldn't in November.

On short trips you have more flexibility to adjust because the weather forecast will be more accurate.

I would suggest making a couple of fall list with a few variables:
    – adjust for temp.
    – adjust for rain/snow

Just my two cents.

Brad

ANTHONY FRANKLIN

@redwood82

It depends on when I can get away from work. Likely late September, late october max. Elevation: anywhere between 2,500 and 5,500 though I would try and camp *away* from ridgelines for protection from wind.

Mileage? Doubt I would hike over 12-15 miles a day.

My down bag is toasty in the 40's and comfortable in the 30's, so not worried about staying warm at night. I think with a fleece, synthetic pants, and hat in my list I could stay warm while walking so even 50 degree daytime temps wont bother me.

If anyone's experience is contrary I would love to hear about it though. I try searching threads to see what others do for what temperatures, but when people talk clothing and mostly just drop product names it becomes static to me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools