Topic

Patagonia Capilene 4 Hoody

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Patagonia Capilene 4 Hoody

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

Here it is stuffed into a plastic bag. This is a size large. The squares are 1 inch.

cap 4

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

I recently added the cap 4 bottoms to my collection to replace my fleece pants. I find them equally as impressive. They come in at about 5 ounces for the medium size.

Max Dilthey
    Spectator

@mdilthey

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com

"I went to Patagonia store near me and tried both mens and womens, and for me the mens fit better. I hope men feel as free to buy women's models as women feel to buy men's — it's not always the case that the label matches the body :)"

I'm a guy, 6'2", all legs, and I cycle a lot. the Women's L Under Armour tights, and the Women's L GoLite Paclite rain pants fit my thunder thighs better than any men's sizes, and still conform to my 32 waist. Best fit ever! I use measurements, not gender keywords, when I shop online.

Cheers!

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

On a recent backpack where the daytime temps remained in the 30's, I was perfectly comfortable hiking with a Byrnje merino wool fishnet t-shirt base, a Cap4 hoody and a Houdini windjacket. At camp I added a Rab Meco 160 longsleeve zip t and a WM Flash vest. I was extremely impressed with the layering test, especially combining the fishnet base and the Cap4 Hoody. I was comfortable and never felt overheated or sweaty.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I was looking at the bottoms, but couldn't tell if it was the same fleece used in the hoody- I know take it it is?

thanks

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I'm thinking more along the lines of just pants for summer- I wear shorts, but bring a pair of Cap 3 bottoms for camp or if it happens to get really cold- the new Cap 4 bottoms might be better suited yet and lighter

<– no pjs for this guy :)

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I'm assuming they do-makes pi$$ing a little easier, the Cap 3's that I pack do- just have to be mindful that my junk doesn't fall out :)

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

@ Mike M, the Cap 4 bottoms are the same material as the hoody.

And yes, they've got a fly.

And they fit just like typical long john tights.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

perfect- thanks

now I just have to insure I get the right ones, as alluded to above the old style Cap 4's are still being sold by many vendors

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

if you act fast, you can probably pick up the new ones direct from Patagonia.com for 30% off right now. Use the promo code "DEEPSNOW" Should be good through Tues.

Cheers,
    -N.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

The Patagonia Capilene 4 1/4-Zip Hoody, style 43665, has vanished from Patagonia's web site.

"Sorry, we could not find this product on Patagonia.com. It's possible that we recently sold out of the item or that we no longer carry it."

The non-hoody version is still there, style 43655.

I love my Cap 4 hoody, glad I got one for Xmas before they vanished.

— Rex

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Patagonia treats the Cap 4 Hoody is a seasonal item. They product a run and sell in Fall & Winter… with a few that might linger into spring. Expect to see it back Sep or so. My understanding is that it sold very well last year.

–mark

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

Heads up to those who can't wait for the Cap4 Hoody: it is back in stock for the Fall '13 season at $120 at Patagonia.com. Right now you have to call or Live Chat a salesperson to get it since it is not on the website yet. Black, purple and Forge Grey are this year's colors. Quantities might be limited in some sizes while they get the shipments in. Ordered one for myself today!

TJ Christopher
    BPL Member

@compel

Anyone who can wear women's size L or XL in the Cap4 hoodie check out 6pm.com,
    they have 3 colors from $60 to $77. There are also some Cap4 non-hoodie zip neck.
    Just make sure you're looking at the newer gridded style (9% spandex) from last year and not the older non-gridded style (6% spandex).

John Arwood
    Spectator

@johnlarwood

Locale: Mountians of East Tennessee

My Women's 1/4 Zip Cap4 Hoodie from about 6 years ago had a loose relaxed fit hood. I was able to modify it for a better air tight fit, but it still is not the balaclava type fit of my R1 Hoodie or the hood that I have seen on the newer men's Cap4 Hoodie.
    The Women's Cap4 Hoody on sale at 6pm.com seems to have the looser fitting hood. If you look at the picture with the hood up from the back, it looks floppy.

Mike R

@redpoint

Locale: British Columbia

YUP!

Huge fan of Patagonia here, but a lot of their fabrics are no longer proprietary. MEC makes several of the same products using an identical fabric [Polartec Power Dry] for 50% of the cost while being made in Canada and not some country where people make $0.10 a day. Fit is very good or virtually the same. This is one of those occasions where you're paying for the name.

Mike R

@redpoint

Locale: British Columbia

"The sizing is very strange on the MEC, not to mention the fabric is not that nice against the skin. I tried to like it but went with the Patagucci. Much nicer for me."

The fabric is IDENTICAL – Polartec Power Dry. Not in all instances, but certainly in this one.

Sizing/fit can be different, so that I can understand. Fabric is exact same.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hey, sorry to resurrect a super old thread, but Dave, I was wondering if you ever got around to cutting out the second layer in the hood of the cap 4, and if so, if it's worth doing it or better just to keep it as is. Thanks!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Not worth doing, thing works well as is.

I actually bought a LS crew and sold the hoodie. Fantastic sub 40F baselayer, and I liked the low profile neck better. I am considering buying the one piece for this winter.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Thanks David. I just ordered a Cap 4 Hoody and Marmot Thermo Hoody to see which one I like better. Planning on using it as a cold weather mid/outer over a thin wool base. My Mec Vega works nicely like this, but is a touch too warm at times.

Mo Rodopsky
    BPL Member

@rhodopean

Btw am I the only one who finds it uncomfortable next to skin because of a cold spot in the lower back ? Same experience with Cap 3.

And E
    Spectator

@lunchandynner

Is it because the fabric creates a bridge over the lumbar area and the fabric doesn't make contact with your skin? Because that happens with me sometimes, but it never bothers me or gives me a cold feeling.

Sean Passanisi
    BPL Member

@passanis

I also noticed Patagonia has a new "Pro" version of the Cap 4 zip-neck that blends some of the R1 material.

http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-capilene-4-pro-zip-neck?p=43720-0

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools