Topic

First Ascent Stargazer 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) First Ascent Stargazer 2

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Locale: Land of Enchantment

Greetings, I've been lurking around the site for several months now and decided I'd tap into the massive experience and brain power of everyone here.

I'm looking to replace an old Kelty Zen I go many years ago with a new lightweight backpacking tent. It needs to be comfortable for two people and I'm on a bit of a budget.

I had been looking at the REI Quarter Dome T2, which seems pretty well received around these parts. But I just stumbled across the Eddie Bauer First Ascent Stargazer 2. It seems to be more the size of the T2 plus but the listed weight on the website is 4lb 5oz. Which, if that's the final weight, makes it even lighter than the standard T2.

Does anyone have any experience with the First Ascent tents? I've scoured everywhere I can think of and can't find any detailed reviews or even youtube videos that are made by FA.

Edit: Forgot the link – http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=42743

FA Stargazer 2

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

A Tarptent Double Rainbow is comfortable for 2, weighs 2 pounds less than this tent, and is cheaper ($275).

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

I've actually looked at that one a couple of times, thanks.

My concerns with the Double Rainbow are headroom and strength. The floor area looks great, but the inner tent appears to have a pretty good slope in the side walls, which makes it look like the peak height is only about a foot wide. My wife is never going to go for a tent that we both cant sit up in and the same time.

Most of my camping is between CO and NM up in the mountains. Sometimes I'm able to find a good spot in the trees but sometimes I'm up above tree line where there is no protection from the wind. How well does the Double Rainbow handle wind.

I'm willing to carry a little extra weight, especially when I can convince my wife to go with me, for a nice secure, bug free and water tight experience.

greg c

@spindrifter

Hi Jesse. If you're looking for a conventional tent the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 is an option. I have the UL1 and am very pleased with its weight, functionality, and durability. They are selling the 2011 model UL2 for $299 on sale at the Big Agnes site. The packed weight is 3 lbs. 13 oz.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/CopperSpurUL2

Good luck,

Greg

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Thanks for the info, I'd seen some comments about the Fly Creek and some other UL tents around here that called into question the waterproofness/durability of the tent floor. Since you've had the CS1, what is your experience? Any problems or issues?
    I'm also a bit concerned about how narrow the foot end of the tent is. At 42 inches, that doesn't leave much room when a standard pad is 20 inches wide.

Can anyone with a CS2 comment on the width of the foot end of the tent? is it comfortable or will my wife and I be playing footsy all night ling?

Bill Law
    BPL Member

@williamlaw

Locale: SF Bay Area

I had my CS2 pitched on a nice flat spot 2 weeks ago. Went out for a day hike, experienced a major downpour, and returned to find one end of the tent sitting in a couple inches of water. The inside was perfectly dry.

As to the vestibule space: I had all my stuff (pack, kitchen gear) in one vestibule and still had room to easily enter the tent. And that was only using *one* of the vestibules.

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

I did some more digging and discovered that the Stargazer's advertized weight is probably the minimum weight rather than the pack weight. A reviewer of the Stargazer 3 said it was about 12 ounces more than advertized. Most 2-man backpacking tents I've found had about a 8 ounce difference between these two weights so that would seem about right. That would make it a few ounces heavier than the T2.

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Bill, Thanks for sharing your experience with the CS with me. Sounds like it might be a winner. Sorry for changing my post and asking a different question after you had read the original. I realized after I posted that I had mixed up the Fy Creek and the Copper Spur.
    Has tent width ever been a problem when you were sharing the tent with another person? that 42 inches seems pretty cozy, but without seeing it, I could be way off base.

greg c

@spindrifter

Hi Jesse,

The UL1 I have has performed flawlessly in wet weather. The bathtub floor has been impermeable to date. As for the width of the Copper Spur UL2 I can't speak to that other than say the UL1 is pretty darn narrow in the foot and has never posed a problem hitting the sides with my bag, etc. What I like most is the blend between low weight and durability. Mine weighs 2 lbs. 12 oz. and it's a full on tent. Also, I experienced heavy winds up at Caribou Lake in the Trinity Alps recently and inside the tent it was surprisingly quiet. The guy out points are well located to ensure little material flapping.

Greg

Jesse Anderson
    BPL Member

@jeepin05

Awesome, Thanks again Greg for sharing your experience. I haven't done much backpacking the last couple of years, and it's great to find a community like this where there is so much knowledge and experience people are willing to share with one another. I think I'm going to have to see if any of my local shops carry the CS2. That sounds like it might be a great option, and the current sale puts it at a pretty awesome price.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools