Topic

Historical temperature data for Pumice Flats Camp at Mammoth Lakes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Historical temperature data for Pumice Flats Camp at Mammoth Lakes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get recent historical data for temperatures at or near Pumice Flat campground? Where would the nearest weather station be?

Thanks,

rhz

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Try Mammoth Lakes.

I've been to Pumice Flats, and it tends to be pretty warm and dry.

–B.G.–

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Hi Bob,

I was told from the camp host that the temperatures in Pumice Flats are the lowest of all the campgrounds in the area. I would guess that Mammoth Lakes would also be warmer, no?

thanks,

rhz

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Rafi,

the California Department of Water has historic data for many, many weather stations. Mammoth Pass (roughly 3 miles away) shows you data about temperature rain, snow depth, etc.
    Of course you need to keep in mind that the pass is roughly 2000 ft higher than Pumice Flats.

Manfred

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Rafi,

The weather station at Devils' Postpile is most likely better suited for what you are looking for. It is only 1+ miles away and at similar altitude.

Manfred

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Hi Manfred,

Thanks for your response. I had actually checked the Devil's Postpile data and found that the temperature readings were nonsensical. It seems that something is wrong with their thermometer….

Thanks again,

rhz

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Rafi,

I gieß then your next best bet is the Mammoth Pass Station that I pointed you to before.

Manfred

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools