Topic

Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas GGG this fall?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Texas/Oklahoma/Arkansas GGG this fall?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

I can do the 3rd weekend of Oct (20th), but not the 4th….already have a longstanding commitment,but that's just me…majority will decide. Actually could do just about any weekend but Oct. 26-28

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I'm thinking I could do the third weekend in October as well. I might be free other weekends as well.

Here is an idea to keep things organized and fair. Everyone post the dates when you CAN come and I'll create an excel spread sheet with a column for everyone's name. Once we have all that we can just select the weekend when the most people are able to come.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

Any date except the first weekend in October should work for me…

Landon Schrock
    BPL Member

@lschrock

Locale: Ozarks

October 19-21 is perfect on my end.

Landon Schrock
    BPL Member

@lschrock

I'll be out of town for a week.. (trouncing around the winds) I'll check in when I get back, but for now I've scheduled off the third weekend of Oct. I might be able to change that around if you all decide on something different.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Okay so the third weekend in October is looking like a good bet. It works for me, Leigh, John, and Landon. It also looks like the second weekend would be a possibility as well. How about the rest of you guys?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Third weekend is open for me.

It seems the California GGG is related to a hike typically instead of simply car camping. It'd be nice for this to be in central Texas so others don't have to drive far, but I have not hiked much there. Lake Georgetown near Austin has a loop around the lake. That still may be too far for Eugeneius.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Okay so here is the list of those that can definitely do October 20-21

Landon Schrock
    Leigh Baker
    John Whynot
    Luke Schmidt
    John Shannon

Couple questions.

1. Do any of you have family or friends you want to bring along? I have no problem with newbies or kids coming along.

2. Anybody interested in car pooling and splitting gas? I'm leaving from Dallas.

3. What kind of mileages would be "fun" to hike with friends along. I can hike farther but I was thinking 10-12 mile days would allow more time for relaxing.

Edit – Just saw John Shannon bring up a good question. Do we want to hike or just car camp and hang out talking gear? Or a bit of both? If we go the car camping route in central Texas I know of a place where we MIGHT be able to arrange a rappelling or rock climbing activitiy. Maybe a hike at Lost Maples on Saturday followed by rock climbing/rappelling on Sunday? I have to stress that is a MAYBE because it would be on a private camp that gets used on weekends.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

I'm fine with 10-12 miles. And I'd like to hike at least some, but open to what the group wants to do. Looks like-if profiles are correct-we've got two coming from the Dallas area, one from Houston, one OK City,and one from Tyler. Either way one person will have a long drive whichever place we go. Having grown up in south TX,it may be warmer there than AR would be. If we decide on that maybe bump the trip back a bit? Just a thought. I'll wait to hear from the rest of the group :)

Andy Chassé
    BPL Member

@andyc

Just came across this..and I'd love to join ya'll if I'm still in Texas. At this point it's looking like I will be, so go ahead and count me in. Coming from Houston (with 2 awesome border collies, if everyone is okay with dogs).

Gotta put a vote in for the Ouachitas!

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Andy dogs don't bother me. Do those October dates work for you?

I'm voting Ouchitas at this point, probably Eagle Rock Loop.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Dogs are fine with me. ERL sounds great, and we could hike as much or as little as the group wants.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

I need to review ERL, I did a part of it once and bailed for reasons I don't remember, I think my ankle was bothering me. Anyway I think it has a lot to offer
    1. Scenic
    2. Relatively big rivers (given the drought this might be good)
    3. Loop – we won't have to shuttle cars.

I'm also thinking that area will be cool but not too cool in October and we'll have more daylight then if we wait until November.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Looks like I should be up there the 1st weekend of Oct to help a friend with his trail maintenance. Doing the entire loop works for me, it's ~27 miles, but again will go with the group's desires.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

If Texas wasn't so enormous I would make this! Have fun guys, this will be a great meet and greet for you all. If gear is on topic, Landon can sustain the weekends conversation solo.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Please post some TRs when you get back from this one. I grew up in Fort Smith but only get back there in December. I'd love to have added incentive to go back at a different time of year when I could do a 2- or 3-day trip there.

Jim L
    BPL Member

@bmafg

Third weekend of October I might be able to join for the ERL. IF IF IF you're OK with an oldish newbie. I hiked a bunch 40 years ago but am just getting back out.

You can get good ERL maps and guide info from Charlie Williams in Tulsa. Info is available on backpackingarkansas forum. Been eying a trip up there but haven't made it yet.

Jim

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Fine by me if you're comfortable with it Jim.

Andy Chassé
    BPL Member

@andyc

Luke – those dates work fine for me.

Jim L
    BPL Member

@bmafg

Luke,

One of the only advantages to hitting 60 is that you get pretty darn comfortable with who you are. :) I'll be good.

FWIW I'd vote for at least some hiking. With a Friday afternoon start, the entire loop would make a good weekend for me, but if I'm outside I'm easy to please.

Jim

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

So lets plan on the third weekend at this point. Jim and Andy glad you guys can make it. I'm up for some Friday hiking, lets make it a two nighter.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

I'm about to hit the trail so I won't be communicating much until probably friday or saturday just to let ya'll know.

Landon Schrock
    BPL Member

@lschrock

Now that Andy is going, I'm not sure I want to… J/K. So glad you're coming, bro!
    I need to talk to you about some extra equipment from texas, particularly smuggled in from Brooklyn.

Plus- I've been to ERL three times now, so I'm pretty familiar with it. I've seen some people in there with fly rods, and I've heard they stock the cossatot river with trout. So bring some fishing gear.

I have plenty of room for people if anyone wants to carpool. I could also pick up from OKC airport if someone wants to fly in.

Andy Chassé
    BPL Member

@andyc

No prob man, let me know what you want. I'll actually be IN Brooklyn next week if you want it straight from the source! I'll be able to get the entire lineup.

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Hey. Is the group open to more folks? Coming from Tulsa. Will have to work on my schedule to see if the GGG can fit.

Glad to see an opportunity for new friends and fun on the ERL. I'll be curious about water access given the drought.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools