Topic

A wine cork

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear A wine cork

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Steve McQueen

@cpholley

Locale: Minnesota Transplant

Ready…..go!

Steven Miller
    BPL Member

@millergear

Locale: SE

diarrhea "Stopper"

David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City

a cover for the ends of your titanium nail stakes

david chan

@davidc-1

Have I beaten Franco and Roger to the punch in mentioning corks on strings, attached to hat – brims to keep Aussie flies away?

Gene .

@tracker

Locale: New England

Ti stake pusher in hard ground, fishing float,keep buddy from snoring, pin cushion during gear repair, place to store duct tape, Platy cap if original is lost!

Steve McQueen

@cpholley

Locale: Minnesota Transplant

Nice work…I'll add one.

Tie to lanyard for us fly-anglers to poke our flies onto.

Speaking of flies, does it really keep the flies away?

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Keep wine from sloshing out of the bottle in your pack, as well as all of those other great ideas.

JRS

ian wright

@ianwright

Locale: Photo - Mt Everest - 1980

It has been many years since such fly repellents were used.
    The idea is to attach the corks (probably half or a third of a bottle cork) to lengths of string (I'm guessing 4" long) which are attached to the brim of your hat (either an old hat you don't mind punching holes in, or, if you have had to put up with Aussie flies when they go ballistic, you'd gladly punch holes in a new hat).
    The idea is that the corks move around enough to keep the flies off your face.

Use for a cork . . .

if in the early morning you see it float pass your head,
    you know your tent has a serious leak.

Douglas Hus

@hustler

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Storing fish hooks. Bobber.

Doug

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Cut it in half, place it underneath your tarp wherever you want to add a tie-out. Loop a tie around the bottom of the cork and the tarp on the outside of the tarp and you have your tie-out holder.

Adam Kilpatrick
    BPL Member

@oysters

Locale: South Australia

hacky sack
    dealer chip
    emergency rations…???

Andrew :-)

@terra

Locale: Sydney, Australia.

If you magnetise your gear repair/first-aid needle you can combine it with the cork to make a compass.

Slice the bottom off the cork.
    Push the needle through it.
    Float the cork/needle compass in some still water and find out where north is.

We did this in the cubscouts.

:^)

James Schipper
    BPL Member

@monospot

You actually don't even need the cork. If you put a little chapstick on each end and very carfully lay it on the water, the surface tension will be enough to support it.

James

edit: oops, sorry I should read the whole thread, I didn't notice this was alternate uses for cork.

Sam .

@samurai

Locale: NEPA

>"You actually don't even need the cork"

You actually don't need the cork, needle, Chapstick, or water.

Point the hour hand of your watch (real watches have one) at the sun. Use a twig to cast a shadow across the hand if you need to (works in the fog). South is halfway between the hour hand and twelve o'clock in the northern hemisphere. North is… well you'll figure it out from here. ;)

If you have a digital watch you know what time it is, so this still works. Just use a sketch of a watch face scratched on a piece of bark or whatever.

Sorry 'bout the hijack… just caught my eye, and I had to.

Andrew :-)

@terra

Locale: Sydney, Australia.

We learn that in the cubscouts too.
    :^)

Another use for a cork is to stop ex-cubscouts from talking about all the ways to find north when in the bush.

On the weekend I couldn't find my little knife so I took a small boxcutter blade on my hike instead. If I had a cork I would have used it keep the blade safe. Instead I wrapped the blade in toilet paper, which is also multi-use (but only single use as toilet paper, of course).

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Just spotted this one.
    You all have missed the most obvious use for it, as a weapon.
    Just burn it and use it to paint your face. It scares the living daylights out of the men in black during their post UFO sightings mopping up operations.
    Or just draw a large line under your eyes to minimize glare and snow blindness at high altitude.
    Franco
    I also used my cork to stop this tread

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools