Topic

Capitol Reef- Trail Suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Capitol Reef- Trail Suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Peter Sustr
    BPL Member

@czechxpress

Locale: Boulder

I'm headed to Capitol Reef for the long weekend and wanted to see if anyone had some suggested overnight hikes. I hike in Utah all the time in the backcountry just not in Capitol Reef before. I'm looking for a 6-10 mile loop or out-and-back, on trail or off.

Thanks!

HElinTexas C
    BPL Member

@helintexas

A great hike is Lower Muley Twist canyon. You can go all the way out to 13 miles and come back. There are side canyons to explore if you so desire. It is beautiful country. The canyon doesn't have trail…just follow the canyon bottom. there are some undercut caves along the way. There are some tight squeezes thru there. Nothing challenging. And there is a section that last year where the way just came to a halt. The way was just blocked by enormous boulders. ENORMOUS boulders. I kept trying to find a way around. Then realized there was a small hole that I had to crawl down into between 2 of them. Probably looks different this year….I imagine flash floods change the way. Fun hike.

A shorter hike is Upper Muley Twist canyon. It is a lollipop hike. After you follow the cairns up to the ridge, you will be on a trail up in the ridge. As you start following the trail over to the right……. You will start to see white slick rock to your right…make sure you walk over to the edge…the views are amazing on that side. This can be a long day hike.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools