Topic

Mid-Sept Overnight in RMNP out of Estes Park?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Mid-Sept Overnight in RMNP out of Estes Park?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

I have the chance to do an overnight in Rocky Mountain National Park Sept 20-21. The backcountry guy ("Dale") says permits should be no problem. Given time constraints, I'm looking for something 5-7 miles within easy reach of Estes Park. Just going from the NatGeo map, I'm thinking maybe Fern or Odessa lakes? But I'm open to other ideas…

What sort of temps/weather should I expect? I'm guessing it'll be a little cooler than in Los Angeles!

Canister stove, alcohol, or Bushbuddy?

Any suggestions from those who know the area appreciated!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Steve, your Sept 20-21 could be a bulls-eye for peak aspen colors. I think Odessa Lake might be my favorite campsite in the park. It's easier to reach via Bear Lake than from the Fern Lake trailhead. Another scenic campsite is Ouzel Lake. An easy one, at a lower elevation, is the 2-mile hike to the Peregrine campsite. That area is loaded with aspen, and it's right next to a nice creek. In addition, there's a nice waterfall you could hike up to after you set up your tent/treat your water to fill out the afternoon.

Edit to add: No fires are allowed at the vast majority of RMNP campsites, so we just use canister stoves. Also, bear canisters are required everywhere in the Park. You should plan that it could get down to near freezing at night (probably low-mid 40s though), but the day's highs could well be in the 70s.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Thanks, Gary, especially for the suggestion on the route to Odessa Lake.

I'm guessing Ouzel Lake would be from the Wild Basin Trailhead?

Still looking for Peregrine…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools