Topic

Have any of you ditched trekking poles as you’ve lightened your weight?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Have any of you ditched trekking poles as you’ve lightened your weight?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

My balance has never been great, and my knees have arthritis that isn't bad, but that I'd prefer doesn't get worse. I used a single bamboo stick for a long time and switched to poles after borrowing a pair. I will use both, one, or none depending on terrain, but they always come with me now.

Renais A
    BPL Member

@renais

I've found the poles even more important as I reduce pack weight since I am able to go longer distances. The poles make a HUGE difference in how my knees and joints feel at the end of the day. I would not leave on a hike without them now.
    Jim

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF

I bought a set of heavy cheap poles when I started carrying my son in a kid carrier, we started doing hikes in the early spring where snow and ice patches were likely. I simply wanted the extra stability with that squirmy precious cargo.

After a few hikes I noticed that not only did I like the being able to place a pole for weight transfer across gaps and long steps down, but on climbs it really aided in maintaining good posture: keeping me upright and 'hiking' rather than bent over and 'humping' and staring at the ground. I purposely left them at home on a few day hikes and realized that I when it gets really steep I have a tendency to really bend over and use my hands on my knees for propulsion. I end up climbing in a 'road bike' hunch. That's hard on a body. Now I use them on 9/10 hikes.

I tell my skeptical friends "It's like my own personal instant handrail."

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Even on level ground, you can roll your ankle on a stone or root. Poles have saved my ankles more times than I care to count!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

At age 69 I agree with Stephen. And as an XC skier I have always used 2 poles as soon as I discovered their effacacy.

"Two legs good, four legs better." (Animal Farm)

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I've actually been considering doing away with the poles and ordering the optional tent poles for my Gossamer Gear tent (if they still make them and they're lighter than my poles.) I hardly ever actually use my poles. The trouble is, on some gnarly downhill stuff or when I'm crossing creeks, I'm so glad I have them, so I keep using them, mostly just holding them up in one hand.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools