Topic

Hoover Wilderness..Twin Lakes Trailhead to Peeler Lake and Beyond…Need some advice

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Hoover Wilderness..Twin Lakes Trailhead to Peeler Lake and Beyond…Need some advice

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

A buddy (yes I have friends..) and I are heading out next week and heading into Hoover Wilderness. We are heading out at the Twin Lakes trailhead, with our first night at Peeler Lake, over Rock Island Pass, and then spending our second night at Crown or Robinson Lake and then out the next day. Any advice on spots to camp, trail conditions, etc would be appreciated. Thank you!

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ken,

I don't have any trail info, but I'd recommend you allow some extra time if you are planning on parking at Twin Lakes Resort where the Robinson Creek TH is. They make you check in and pay $10 for TH parking, and it took me over an hour on a Saturday morning to wait in the line. Next time I will probably park on the side of the road by the lake and walk in.

It's also a little confusing to actually find the trailhead once you park in their hiker parking lot since there is a maze of unmarked trails branching out around the campground. Be sure to not accidentally end up on the Horse Creek trail. The Robinson Creek TH is marked with a big wooden sign and is at least a 5-10 minute walk due west through the campground from the hiker parking.

Andrew

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Andrew, thanks for the information! I did not know the trailhead is difficult to find and thanks on the parking info…I usually don't carry cash…now I have to. We are going mid week and school is back in session, hope that clears some folks out!

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Have fun… enjoy the big stands of aspens on Robinson Creek.

I highly recommend Jolly Kone for a post hike burger… it's like an In-N-Out burger but twice the size (and of course you've been hiking for a few days…)

Andrew

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

NICE…and I am assuming that is in Bridgeport??? I am a huge foodie….DONE!

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Charging for parking? Will wonders never cease.

Just returned from a seven-day Hoover-Yosemite loop but out of Leavitt Meadows. More climbing required than the other trailheads, but sometimes that's a good thing for sea level dwellers.

Have a great time!

Rick

Andrew F

@andrew-f

Yep, right on 395 in Bridgeport.

I was a little bummed that the wilderness permit was free but the RV campground got $10 for parking! I'd much rather have it be the other way around and have the money used for trail work, etc…

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Does any wilderness besides Desolation charge for permits these days? Cost three of us $30 for two nights there this summer. Like you, I'm not offended if it goes directly into maintenance, which is sorely needed.

Which reminds me: there are a LOT of blowdowns in southern Hoover-Northern Yosemite. Some big storm must have hit last year, as we kept running across (and over and under) big stands of mature trees ripped out by the roots. IIUC the Red's Meadow area suffered similarly, but none of these has been cleared. Some are so bad that trails will require rerouting.

Cheers,

Rick

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Some wilderness areas have free permits, but you have to pay if you want to reserve one. Other areas, you pay regardless of reservations or not. It costs the agency a certain amount of money to operate its wilderness, so the money goes to that.

–B.G.–

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Thanks Andrew we'll hit that place up when we come out. Rick, I bet the blow down was frin our winter two years ago. We had a late season storm that had some of the highest winds we've encountered. I heard about Reds Meadow but not Hoover

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I'm pretty sure that the blowdown was from last year. On the Benson Lake loop there are two big ones–the most annoying is right at Benson Lake; the other is between Mule and Burrow pass. This really has been the year of blowdowns. Every trip I've taken has involved at least one major blowdown–and I haven't been to Reds Meadows!

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

The backcountry ranger at Upper Piute warned us and sure enough, acres of big old lodgepoles, all toppled by the rootballs.

I'm speculating last winter ('11-'12) based on the remaining green needles, but perhaps they can remain green longer than a season? In any case, it was a persistent theme throughout the trip, just at its worst in that first encounter.

Cheers,

Rick

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools