Topic

Philmont trek 33, 125 miles, packs <25#, tons of fun

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Philmont trek 33, 125 miles, packs <25#, tons of fun

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

Here is a link to our trip photos from Philmont Scout Ranch in Northern New Mexico. My son's crew chose trek 33 and hiked for 125.5 miles (lots of side hikes) with 20,000+ feet of vertical elevation gain over a total of 10 days. With food, water, and gear we had 2 pack at 25, 2 at 28, and the rest sub 35 pounds, which made for an enjoyable trip.

LINK TO PHOTOS

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Nice photos Brian.

A question … what were you using as an inner under the trailstar?

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Jim –

I was using a Bear Paw PentaNet (with optional 10" silnylon sides)

http://www.bearpawwd.com/shelters_floors/pentaNet.html

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

I was using a Bear Paw PentaNet (with optional 10" silnylon sides)

Take long to learn how to efficiently set up the combo?

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

It is pretty simple to set up. I pitched the trailstar first then added the inner net tent under it afterward.

To do so, I connect the inner net corner guylines to the stakes holding up the trailstar, save the front two inner net corners by the door, which get their own stakes.

I then collapse my trekking poll the re-raise the trail star along with the inner net apex. At first I was having trouble getting the tension on the inner net fabric to be taught but quickly learned to sandwich the apex of the inner net between the trekking pole and the trail star apex.

Carl Zimmerman
    BPL Member

@carlz993

I tried to look at your photos from your Philmont Trek. I could only get two photos to show up and they weren't Philmont. Not sure what I did wrong.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Looks like a great trip.

I see some things in the pics, Golite Jams?, and some trail runners.

Can you comment on yalls packs and footwear, especially foot related issues, etc.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Four of us did indeed use golite jams. They worked great. Two of these were trailbound at 25# and the other two were #28. Most everyone on our crew used trail runners. Not unexpectedly, those with boots had the most problems with blisters. Keeping the packs light, using trekking poles, and training prior to departure in trail runners was the key to our success with them.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Carl – I'm not sure what the issue is… the link seems to work for me and some others. Perhaps, give it another try?

G Sticks
    Spectator

@voiceofsticks

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Really, really enjoyed the pics! Gosh, I can't wait til my 2-month old son is old enough to do this trip with me. I went in 2002 and looking at a recent trip just takes me back.

Joe Groesbeck

@jgroesbeck

Great photos Brian!

I was just about to post regarding the TS with Pyra-net inner and golite Jam 50 use.

With weights near 25 #'s, any issues with the Jam 50 regarding comfort and wear over that distance? I've had mine on 5 day / 50 mile hikes with weights in the upper 20's with no issues, however, I have not had it out for ten days with mileage at that distance.

Any issues with the TS, as far as the rangers go? I assume the enclosed / floor function of the penta or pyra meet shelter requirements?

Can’t wait for our trek this summer (first one). Also, I PM’d you a separate question. Thank you.

Cheers.
    joe

Ernie Delcher

@efd57

Locale: Northern New Jersey

Brian,

Great pics, don't know how I missed them when you posted back in August!

Great exposures with nice & rich colors. What camera were these taken with?

Did you take or need extra batteries?

Thanks
    Ernie

Bill Rose

@brnpa

Locale: Philly suburbs

Brian – Love the photos. I was looking at the shoes and clothes your crew was wearing. Looks like you packed very lightly. Do you have a packing list you could share? Thanks.

Daniel Lee
    BPL Member

@scoutbuff

Locale: Colorado

Bill, et al-
    Just a tidbit from the peanut gallery…

Our crew decided on an olive green synthetic t-shirt for last summer's trek. (I groaned internally that we would look like a bunch of green beans on the trail with our scout shorts.) Alas, the fortuitous wisdom of the boys! We learned that any t-shirt that wasn't tan or olive green became tan (or some variation) by the end of the second day due to all the dust!

The boys enjoyed quietly questioning the sanity of a crew with sparkling white crew shirts (albeit with a cool logo) getting off the bus as we got on after 11 days without showers… Have fun!

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Must have missed the late posts on this thread…

Joe – The Jam works just fine for me if the loads stay under 30#. With the inner the trailstar was not a problem with our Ranger.

Ernie – I used an Olympus TS-1 and an extra battery adn a 32GB SD card. Worked great. It's a perfect point and shoot camera for Philmont (especially with all the trail dust)

Bill – I looked but must have misplaced my pack list spreadsheet… all those darn flash drives. If you have specific questions I can have a good idea of what I used. My personal gear base was 11#, after crew gear was added I was at 16-17# and my first day step on the trail weight was 28#.

Bill Rose

@brnpa

Locale: Philly suburbs

Brian – 11 pounds of personal gear is really light! I guess my specific questions are focused on how you reused items, like wearing rain-pants when cold instead of packing some sort of very light polypro or silk long underwear bottoms (just an example). I'm continuing to get my weight down as much as possible and all suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

I found my list of clothing I used and have provided the weight in ounces after each item. Here you go:

Clothing worn (3.34 pounds, not included in my 11 pound base weight for personal gear)

Outdoor Research Swift Ball Cap 2.25 (in retrospect should have used a wide brim hat)
    ExOfficio AirStrip Light fishing shirt 8.10
    REI Sahara zip off pant 13.45
    Ex Officio Give-N-Go boxer briefs 2.95
    DeFeet Wolleator socks 1.60 (work great)
    Dirty Girl Scree Gaiters 0.95
    Sacony Xodus trail runner 24.15 (should have used my lighter INOV8 295s)

Clothing carried: (3 pounds)
    Buff – 9.5"x 21" tube (polyester microfiber) 1.35
    BPL Ultralight mosquito headnet 0.75 (did use)
    Cloudveil Glove Liner 0.85
    Philmont Crew Shirt 5.0 (used for sleeping)
    Patagonia Nano Puff 10.0
    Patagonia Houdini 4.0
    Westcomb Specter LT Hoody 10.85
    Ex Officio Give-N-Go boxer brief 2.95
    Nike Dry Fit running short 3.9 (for sleeping and for stream side clean ups as well while washing clothes)
    GoLite Reed 5.95
    DeFeet Wolleator socks 1.6 (2 pair, change your socks at lunch…)
    MSR ultralight packtowel (half of small size) 1.0

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools