Topic

Homemade chx and dumplings recipe?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Homemade chx and dumplings recipe?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Anyone have a homemade chicken and dumplings recipe that would work for one person? I'd like to try and make one for my next trip.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Chicken : I like freeze dried
    Broth: Swanson broth concentrate
    Dried onions, celery, carrots and peas

Dumplings: butter+ flour + baking powder+ salt+ seasonings. Pre-mix dry, add butter on site with water.

Bring water to simmer, add broth and chicken, add onion etc, spoon in dumplings, turn off heat, insulate and wait.

Russ Maynard
    Spectator

@russmay

Locale: Central California

I hate to admit this but! Someone gave me some MRE's and one was Chicken and dumplings. I found it to be very good. Might want to keep an eye open for one.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/chicken-stew-and-dumplings

It is a great recipe – while it does require cooking and a larger 2L pot it is worth it.

Dave Ploessel
    Spectator

@mailesdad

Made that above Guitar Lake a couple seasons ago – to this day one of my favorite trail meals ever =0)

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Thanks! :-)

Andrew Weldon
    BPL Member

@hypnolobster

@cameron

What's your source for freeze dried chicken?

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Is there a way to make your recipe work with a smaller pot? I'll just be feeding myself.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Jeff, you can cut it in half and use a 3 ounce can of chicken instead (add the broth to the soup part for more flavor). Then you can use a smaller pot.

Dicentra OPW

@dicentra

Locale: PNW

Kendall Katwalk Chicken n Dumplings

1 (7 ounce) packet cooked chicken (foil pouch)
    2 1/4 cups Bisquick baking mix
    1 teaspoon dried parsley
    3 teaspoons chicken bouillon
    1 tablespoon dried vegetable flakes
    1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
    1/2 teaspoon celery salt
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme

At home: put the Bisquick, and parsley in a zip locking plastic bag. In a second bag put the remaining ingredients. Carry the chicken pouch seperately.

In camp: bring 3 cups of water to a boil, add the broth/veggie mix. Reduce heat and keep simmering.

Add the chicken. Meanwhile, make the dumplings by adding 2/3 cup of water to the bag of Bisquick. Zip shut and squish to combine well. Snip off a corner off the bag and squeeze out dumplings.

Let them simmer, covered, for a couple of minutes or until they puff up and float to the top.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools