Topic

Sierra High Route August 2013

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Sierra High Route August 2013

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Louis Hoiland
    BPL Member

@lhoiland

Locale: Humboldt County, CA

I'm planning a thru hike of the Steve Roper's Sierra High Route August 2013 (date to be determined by snow pack). I have read Roper's guide and have Andrew Skurka's maps. I met a guy in Tuolumne Meadows while I was hiking the JMT this summer who said it was an amazing route. I have not asked for hiking partners on a forum before. I'm testing the waters. Send me a PM if you are interested and we can talk.

BTW, I'm a fit 55 year old who has a pack base weight of 12 pounds including a bear canister. I am not sure how fast I would hike the route. Skurka said figure 50% to 70% of your usual distance — that would be 10 to 14 miles a day for me. So the entire 195 miles would take from 14 to 20 days. I would want to resupply two or three times to keep pack weight down.

Jeff Issenberg

@ijeff

Locale: SF Bay Area/Sierras

I'm very interested in doing the Sierra High Route with you in August 2013. I've done a few 9 day trips on the High Route. I've also got Roper's book and Skurka's maps and would really like to make this happen. I'm in transition on the work front so I'm not 100% that I'd be able to take the time off to do all of it. That may depend on the job and family, but doing the Sierra High Route is a major priority. Thanks for posting this! It'd be good to do some other shorter trip(s) together before then if you are interested and available. I've just posted a trip for October 11-15 but could do almost any time in October or November and next season.

-Jeff

stephen keating

@012wanderer

hi louis, i have done the high route twice south/north and north/south, i would highly recommend starting at mineral king and doing the high route south, resupply in cedar grove, and vvr. my last visit to the high sierras was 2010, and you know what thinking about it is giving me itchy feet again, a lot of water will go under the bridge before then, ill keep you in mind and drop you a line before then, stephen.

stephen keating

@012wanderer

hi louis, i might be interested in joining you, i have done the route twice south/north and north/south. if going south/north i would highly recommend adding on the sierra high route sohth starting at mineral king t/h. its been a few years since ive been to the sierras, i think a return trip is lookin up, i too am now in my 50s so your mileage looks ok, alot of water to go under the bridge between now and then, so ill keep you in mind, stephen.

Louis Hoiland
    BPL Member

@lhoiland

Locale: Humboldt County, CA

FYI Due to job and family commitments, I will have to postpone the SHR trip until summer of 2014.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools