Topic

4 day trip in the Dakotas mid October. Help wanted.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 4 day trip in the Dakotas mid October. Help wanted.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Hi,

Here is my clothing and shelter list for an upcoming bikepacking trip on the Maah Daah Hey trail in the North Dakota badlands in mid October.

Do you think I could save weight without giving up safety or much comfort? Do you think the clothing/shelter/sleep gear is adequate for the conditions? Any tips for this area? Too hot in warm riding weather? Note: I get cold easily when not moving.

Normal Conditions:
    High 50-75, low 35-50, windy, rain on 25% of the days. 11 hrs of daylight.
    If it rains you can't ride the trail, so we will either wait it out or bail on a gravel road. Due to daylight and physical conditioning there will be a lot of time in camp.

(number is weight in g's/ounces)

Clothing worn on bike:
    Arcterra glasses- glasses _24/0.9
    Remedy. bikegloves- hands _ 94/3.3
    SpecRoubaix bibs L- bikehorts _ 218/7.7
    Spec. Rime mtb shoes- shoes(pair) _ 996/35.1
    Ibex zipneck longslv- top base _ 188/6.6
    SW Adrenaline wht- socks _ 42/1.5

Other clothing:
    Dynamo wind pants- pants wind _ 82/2.9
    Stoic Wraith jkt- hooded top wind _ 72/2.5

Smart Wool boxers- pants base _ 90/3.2
    MHW Powerstr gloves- hands warm _ 52/1.8
    MHW fleece beanie- hat warm _ 28/1.0
    Craft thin balaclava- hat warm _ 34/1.2
    MB UL down pants- pants warm _ 198/7.0
    MB UL down jacket XL- top warm _ 212/7.6
    Smartwool Hiker L- sleep socks _ 84/3.0

Paclite mittens- hands rain _ 88/3.1
    O2 pants XL- pants rain _ 122/3.7
    O2 hoodedjacket XL- top rain _ 178/6.3
    SW grey ankle- spare socks _ 48/1.7

Sleepgear:
    BPL? inflatable pillow- pillow _ 32/1.2
    EnLightEq. REvX 40F+overstuff wideL- Quilt – 520/20
    Neoair cut to 61"- pad _ 334/11.8

Shelter shared with my wife:
    Polycryo "Groundsheet shelter groundsheet _ 74/2.6
    RutaLocura tent pole shelter pole _ 150/5.3
    7 Carbon 6"Stakes shelter stake _ 42/1.5
    4 Carbon 9" stakes shelter stake _ 34/1.3
    GoliteHex 3 Tipi shelter tarp _ 772/27.2

Cordell Hanson

@cordini

I'm not a backpacker or trail rider, but I do hunt in the Badlands in October. I will tell you this….Expect any type of weather! We've had 2 previous October hunts with daytime temps in the 90's for multiple days….We've also had rain/snow in other years…..3 years ago we sat in camp for the better part of a day with rain & 40 mph sustained winds. It can be really ugly camping UL in those conditions out here….We were in a wall tent. We actually tore down camp a day early because of a break in the weather. It is extremely dry out there right now, and with the wind and dust from the truck activity from oil, construction, and ranching operations, you want to be camping on the side from which the prevailing wind is coming from. The scoria dust is something that just lingers in the air….I still am washing it out of my truck from last year. Good luck on your trip….Hope the weather cooperates!

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Converting to ounces might yield more responses.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Thanks for the info Cordell. That is very helpful. Makes me wonder about riding shirt choices. I was aware of the wind, hence the Mid instead of a tarp, especially as the Hex is lighter than my tarp and a bivy. The Hex is very storm resistant so should be good as far as the wind goes. Good note about the dust though. Again confirms my choice for the Mid instead of an open tarp. Also means I will be happy with my hoodless down jacket and bringing a thin balaclava, since it can do double duty as a dust mask. Previously I was wondering if I should pony up for a hooded down jacket instead.

Since we are only going for a few days, hopefully we can get a good forecast.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools