Topic

Long Trail Mid Sept.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Alex Romanko
    BPL Member

@aromanko

Locale: Rattlesnake

I would like to hike the LT NOBO in Mid September, and would like to know from anyone with experience up there what the conditions will be like. I plan on 3 weeks for a thru hike.

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Looking at the accuweather Month page for Sept the historical temps looks like highs in the high low 70's lows in the 40's possibly into the 30's at altitude. Water has been low this year, especially up north. best to check with SOBO's and shelter registers for current info. Glen Ellen shelter is closed (Stark's Nest is open)

so prepare for a bit chilly at night but at least no bugs.

Logan K
    BPL Member

@logan

Locale: Florida

Never been to VT, but have done and led alot of trips in NW Maine. In Sept, I bet you'll get some snow at some point and probably have wild temp. extremes (summer today, winter tonight kind of things).

I would pre-plan for all kinds of weather, and wait as long as possible to pack until you see a forecast for the time you will be out… I bring a lighter quilt but always bring my BPL puffy suit at this time of year. I may hike in my fivefingers, but I bring thick wool socks to sleep in.

And then be willing to chuck the forecast because New England notches and ridges can sort of make their own weather.

On the bright side, you shouldn't have to worry about bugs! Hope this helps!

Logan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools