Topic

Handline + Spinners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Handline + Spinners

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

Has anyone used a handline such as the Streamlines Tidelands with spinners?

Wondering how hard it is to get the spinners to work properly while manually wrapping the line on the spool.

Gene .

@tracker

Locale: New England

Yes, the caution is that if you have'nt fished like this before there is the chance of injury from getting a line wrap on a finger or wrist. Use care, and start out fishing for small fish until you get it. I've used a Streamlines since they first came on the market. Rod and reel fishing just seems like more fun though when you get into larger fish/different styles IME. You can fish with flies on a bubble float, but it's not the same as the enjoyment you get from a 5w rod and technique.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Steve,

I’ve used this system with spinners and dry flies effectively in the Sierras. Like most things all it take is a practice and a little patience.

Regards

David Stenberg
    BPL Member

@dstenberg1

Locale: South

Roger,
    Did you have fun in the Sierras with a handline? I will be hiking with two non-fishers and would like to use something that is quick and can be used at a moment's notice. The handline is also attractive because of the weight. Did you think it is worth it or is it too frustrating to use? Did you wish you had a rod and reel instead?

Amy Reid
    BPL Member

@marmot8

Locale: central Sierra

Roger, Can you elaborate a little more about using the Streamline handline with dry flies and your setup? I am waiting for mine to arrive and talked to a local fly fishing shop about a setup. I was thinking about using a clear bubble float for some weight, a barrel spinner, leader and dry fly. I'll be fishing the JMT in August but want to get the hang of my system before then. Any advice is welcome! Thanks,

Aaron Lastname

@cloudveil9

A fly rod only weighs about 3 ounces ;)

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

and dap the fly into pools

or feed it down in the current a little with dry or nymphs

Amy Reid
    BPL Member

@marmot8

Yes, but fishing isn't my main focus. And then I'd need a reel, and other misc. gear, adding to the weight. And its expensive. The Streamline handline (www.streamlines.com) is less than $20. I can cast it, so its got a bit more flexibility than tying a line to a stick or a pole.

Plus, it won't get in my way. The idea of bringing rod & tackle along sounds like a fuss and more bother than it's worth (to me). But a small, self-contained handline and a few flies, … that I can wrap my mind around. Plus it sounds like a fun challenge to master the handline.

I know, I know, this sounds like blasphemy to folks who thrive on fishing!

I am more looking for advice on handline technique or setup of a dry fly system. Since there was a mention of someone having used a handline in the Sierra, I thought I'd ask.

Right now, I'm researching. I want to put a kit together, see how successful I am and then decide if I want to add the ounces later.

Daniel White

@wvlawyer

Locale: Wasatch Front

For what it's worth, Aaron's right, you can get a pretty lightweight fly rod. After that, the line will add some extra weight, but you really don't need a reel. I fell on a trip once and snapped my fly rod about six inches above the handle. I just stuck the reel in my pocket and held the rod above the break and kept casting and catching fish.

The lightest set up that I see from this is something like the lightweight plastic spool that a fly line comes on when you buy it. You could pretty much keep this in a pocket and play out what you need to cast. Then you just pull the line in, rather than reel it. Won't work well for large fish, but for small mountain lakes or streams, should be fine.

I haven't done the math, but I doubt this adds too much extra weight. This would still be more expensive than the handline and if fishing isn't your main focus, then probably not for you. However, I'm sure it will work a lot better.

Taylor Ginther

@tippet

Locale: San Diego

yes I suppose technically you could catch a fish or two with a handline. I'd be interested to hear that turns out for you. For now, I'll stick with a rod/reel though.

Aaron Lastname

@cloudveil9

Like Daniel said, you don't need a reel to flyfish. I know for a fact that my fly rod weighs just under 3 ounces, I can't imagine that my fly line weighs much more. Maybe I'll weigh it tonight but I think you could get a complete flyfishing setup under 8oz if you were willing to sacrifice a few gizmos…Maybe less.

Amy Reid
    BPL Member

@marmot8

I received my handline earlier this week and will start testing out tackle systems as soon as I can. So far it seems pretty easy to use and I'm looking forward to developing a technique with it. I'll report back later what worked and how I do after I give it some true trials in the field. I'll start with a bubble float, barrel swivel, leader & dry fly. Thanks for the input.

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

No, but I've fished a lot in Mexico like that, but wrapped the line around a beer bottle. We were bait fishing though.

scri bbles
    BPL Member

@scribbles

Locale: Atlanta, GA

Please keep us updated. I am definitely interested in how this works out…

Todd Forbes

@tf

When I was in Carmen a while back I saw the locals fish like this, they were fishing in the Gulf of Mexico with cut bait and used a beer can for a reel. You also see a lot of our "guest workers" down on the Gulf Coast fish like this and they do catch fish.

You could use your Foster's beer can mug as a reel and have a truly lightweight duel peice of equipment!

I will be using a Tenkara rod in the Weimanuche Wilderness Are next week and it was hard enough for me to accept not having a reel but this is intresting!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools