Topic

GSMNP for late September

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists GSMNP for late September

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Eric Brigman
    Spectator

@engine386

Locale: Central Florida

Its been a few years since I've gone backpacking, and this is my first attempt at going ultralight/light. I've been gaining insight from BPL and picking up gear throughout the summer… Please take a look at my 3 season list and let me know what you think.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=8640

-Thanks in advace, Eric

Caleb Boyle

@calebb

Hi Eric,

I think the answer to your questions would depend on the elevation that you plan on camping at. You can probably do without the fleece for hiking(you have the down jacket for insulation when stopped). But if you are planning on camping @ 4000ft+, I would want a warmer bag. For reference, Leconte lodge has already been reporting lows near 40f this week. But if you intend to stay at a lower elav temps should be much milder.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisit/weather.htm

What about clothing worn? Pants? Might want some tights or a baselayer depending on the forecast.

Caleb

Eric Brigman
    Spectator

@engine386

yea, I think your right about not needing the fleece for hiking. Campsites for the trip will be @ 3000' and 5000'. Also, I'll just be sleeping in my hiking clothes… pants/long sleeve shirt.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

JMO, but unless you regularly use that 0-degree bag for winter camping somewhere, I'd sell it on gear swap or something and put the proceeds towards a proper quilt. A 30 degree quilt +/- combined with clothing should get you down to 20 if needed….and if you're camping at 5000 ft. in the Smokies next month, you should be prepared for the possibility of freezing temps. Rain also.

Eric Brigman
    Spectator

@engine386

is it safe to assume there will still be bugs in the smoky's in the end of sept?

Eric Brigman
    Spectator

@engine386

My list has been updated and I would love to hear what you guys/gals think

david richardson
    BPL Member

@drichi

Locale: midwest

Eric, I am interested in how well you have found this bug net to work. I am looking for an item like this to use with my weight weenie hammock. dave

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

Hi Eric,

I was just in the Smokey's and did a three day, 56 mile loop from Clingman's Dome to Lake Fontana. The first two nights at low elevation were gorgeous and my 30 degree quilt was more than sufficient. The last night near the ridgeline by the Dome I absolutely froze in high winds and about 30 degrees. I wore two shirts, a windshirt, and puffy and my rain jacket and pants to stay warm. If hitting any elevation at all you'll need glove liners, a beanie and some layers, especially if in a hammock. By the way, I used my Nano 7 hammock for breaks and loved the set up. The best 12 oz I carry for relieving the achiness of my feet and back and just relaxing. I had no need for a bug net throughout the hike.

Enjoy! The leaves are just starting to turn and I saw three bears up close and personal.

Steve Meier
    BPL Member

@smeier

Locale: Midwest

Dave, I use Papa Smurf's tulle bug sock for my Nano 7 hammock setup and love it. You need to treat it very gently but only 2.75 oz.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools