Topic

My first project / quilt yarn question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear My first project / quilt yarn question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dave Milsom
    BPL Member

@milsom

Hi All,
    I have used information on this forum to help me make my first project, which is a quilt based on the instructions here: http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/make-quilt/index.html
    You've provided this lurker with some good insight. Thanks.

I am extremely happy with the results so far, since this was the first time i have ever used a sewing machine. My wife gave me some pointers, showed me how to thread the machine, and let me at it.

I broke a needle. I tried to sew with the feet up. I ran out of thread in the lower bobbin and didn't notice for a good 2 feet. Things got tangled. I cussed and spat. The cat kept walking across the material as i measured it. But, it's almost finished and I think it looks pretty good!

I used some $1 ripstop from Wallyworld and Primaloft Sport. Everything is done except for the quilt loops. I haven't bought the materials for this yet, and i am wondering if there is a specific type of yarn i should buy?

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

If you use yarn, pick any synthetic.

I don't like using yarn loops. They tend to snag and untie in my experience. I've been using standard sewing thread in my recent poly quilts. I quilt to the inner shell before joining the inner and outer shells so there are no quilting stitches in the outer shell. I tack the thread at a point on the inner shell, maybe 6 inches from the edge, loop it over the poly with a back stitch thru the poly only, then tack it in place on the inner shell again,several inches away from the first tack, repeating until the thread runs out and I reload the needle. This has worked better for me than the yarn loops. I keep the loop loose, but do not mess with using a spacer to maximize loft. If you try this for a couple of stitches, you will see that the thread does not compress the insulation unless you pull it tight. If it conpresses a little, the adjacent insulation will fold over the compressed area to eliminate the potential cold spot. The 'tack' I refer to is nothing more than a 'star' of stitches over each other through the shell only and finished with a half-hitch before placing the next loop over the insulation. I work from side to side. The length of the loop – the length between tacks – will vary with the thickness of the insulation. Thin insulation needs shorter stitches. For 2 inch insulation 6-8 inches to 12 inches seems OK (I have used up to 12 inches with no problem) and for 1 inch insulation, 4 to 8 inches works OK. The back stitch is also loose and seems to keep things together than just a straight arc over to the next tack. Most current insualtions do not require much quilting.

Eric Eaton

@ericeaton

Sounds like you had as much “fun” on your first quilt as I did on mine, right down to the cat “helping Daddy” to measure and line things up accurately while trying to get a straight cut.

Actually, you can be very proud of yourself. I say,”Well done!”

As for the quilting yarn, I didn’t use any on my latest quilt (nylon shell with climashield fill) and have had no cold spot situations this winter.

Keep up the good work!

Eric

Eric Eaton

@ericeaton

Hey there Vick.

Have you found any actual problems resulting from a non-quilted quilt?

Seems like there may be a potential for shifting or tearing fill, but have you or anyone else experienced this?

My last quilt I used climashield without the quilting, and without any discenible unfavorable results. It's true I am careful while stuffing and removing, and I also avoid "fluffing" at night.

Your thoughts please…

Eric

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools