Topic

Pascal: “I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time.” … exemplifies ultralight backpacking for me.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Pascal: “I would have written a shorter letter, but I did not have the time.” … exemplifies ultralight backpacking for me.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I love that quote. I'm in CompSci so it's often difficult to write brief and concise code.

There's a phrase called "code golfing" where you review code you wrote in the past and try to shorten it so that future maintainers don't have as much to understand. And less code means less bugs.

This really explains ultralight backpacking for me.

Your first trip you have a 40 lb pack. Then you ditch the crap you don't need and you save 10 lbs. Then comes the hard work.

This has been an addiction of mine for 2-3 years now and I now have an 8 lb pack.

Wonder what things will look like in 2-3 more years.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

"Programs expand to fill all available memory" = People with bigger packs bring more stuff.

What's the BPer translation of:

"If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization."?

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

"Wonder what things will look like in 2-3 more years."

If you follow my path you will go up to 8.5lbs by adding back in the stuff that you want not need and not worry about your pack weight ever again.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools