Topic

Knifepoint Glacier in Wind River Range

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Knifepoint Glacier in Wind River Range

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Has anyone been arcross Indian Pass and went across Knife Point Glacier? I have a trip next week where we have about a mile of travel over this glacier and I am wanting to avoid taking my microspikes on a week long trip for only a mile of glacier travel. Anyone ever done this in trailrunners? If everything goes as planned we will be crossing the glacier in early afternoon.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Anyone? I head out tomorrow night.

Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

I haven't been on it, but like you I'm headed there next week. I decided to bring my microspikes.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Thanks Tim. If all goes as planned we should be crossing early afternoon on Wednesday next week.

Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

Where are you headed from knifepoint?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

We are crossing Indian pass over Knife Point Glacier to Glacier Panarama to camp and then over Blaurock Pass the next morning.

Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

I needed mine!

Did you?

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

It's a glacier. It's made of ice. This was a low snow year, so the surface will be mostly bare ice.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

My hiking partner was feeling the effects of the altitude so we stopped at the top of indian pass and went back down to camp in titcomb basin. We were afraid that once we crossed the divide on our planned route we would not have an easy exit if his symptoms worsened. We did go up and over knapsack col the following day, past peak lake and elbow lake to camp. He ended up feeling better but we took the conservitive route and stayed on the west side of the divide within an easier walk of the trailheads.

Tim Cheek
    BPL Member

@hikerfan4sure

I'm sympathetic to your partner. I went ahead with my trip notwithstanding a head cold and I'm still recuperating…

The glacier was slick. I was on it at noon on a partly cloudy day. The microspikes were the minimum; ideally I'd been wearing KTS crampons. The microspikes would slip out of position or slip off entirely after thirty yards or so, but with only a few hours on a glacier out of a nine day route, they were an okay weight/compromise. I think if I had not had something on my feet like them, I'd have spent more time mucking around in very loose and just as slick mud and talus that was likely more unstable and hazardous than the glacier itself.

I brought a helix potty trowel, but ended up relying on my poles only.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools