Topic

Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne, Sept 13-17

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne, Sept 13-17

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Joseph Brody

@killroy

Locale: SF Bay Area

I just joined to see if I can make some more backpacking buddies.

I'm planing a 5 day, 60 mile loop that starts at Tuolumne meadows, goes down the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne and back through 10 lakes. My current buddies can't go, so I'll do it alone or with a 1-2 people if I can make any friends here.

This trip should have some 15 mile days and a lot of climbing on rocky terrain. Its really a preparation trip for the John Muir Trail. I'm planing on the JMT for the first time July 2013 where I want to fast-pack it in 10 days. I'm also looking for partners for that trip.

Bradley Attaway

@attaboybrad

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Sounds cool. JMT in that style's on my bucket list as well. Where/when will you be leaving from? I'm SF based. Do you have permits yet?

Joseph Brody

@killroy

I'm from Campbell, Ca (basically San Jose).

No, I don't have permits yet. I don't really worry about permits much, I have never had a problem getting one the day and I would just switch to a different trail head if I had a problem with getting Tuolumne Meadows.

They want you to use the FAX machine and pay money to reserve permits early. Get online people!

Bradley Attaway

@attaboybrad

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

but I don't think I can swing 3 days off of work then. Best of luck. Hope you'll post a trip report.

Joseph Brody

@killroy

Yeah. I'm going to be burning all my vacation for this trip an other traveling.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I'm down. You can read more about me in my profile… I think I would only be able to do about 1/2 of it though. Probably when you get near White Wolf I will have to bail.. but if we take two cars it would work out well.

My only requirement is that we take breaks to let me fix every once in a while. I'll catch us dinner.

The Toulumne river at that section has nice trout…

Trent Kiziah

@trent03

Sounds great. Provide me more detail. Sounds like we would hike from the Glen Aulin Trailhead to White Wolf (28.7 miles) and then return by Ten Lakes.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

Yup. Anywhere in Toulumne would work really. It's amazing there. There is a trailhead I haven't done yet which might be nice.

I was actually there about a month ago.

Plenty of water. It was HOT during the day though. Around 100. I expect it will be around the same temp.. maybe 95. We should probably try to get up EARLY those days and brake for a while around 1pm.

I will have to leave you around white wolf though.

When did you want to head up on the 13th? That's a thursday. I'd prefer to leave at about 2pm … this way we can get to the trail head by about 6pm ad get in about 2 hours of hiking.

I'm leaving from SF… it would be best to take two cars so I can head back that Sunday night from White Wolf.

Last time I was there I saw a rattlesnake and a black bear cub.

There are a lot of bears over in that area so we might see some again.

Trent Kiziah

@trent03

Kevin and I are planning to begin at Tenaya Lake, just west of Tuolumne Meadows, and head north up the trail known as Murphy Creek to Glen Aulin. From Glen Aulin, we will travel west along the Tuolomne River. We are driving separately and will be leaving one car at White Wolf. Kevin will end at White Wolf on Sunday sometime.

Depending on how I feel. I may hike back to Tenaya Lake via Ten Lakes, I may be up for it, spending Sunday night on the trail and ending Monday evening at Tenaya Lake.

We are planning to meet at the Tenaya Lake trailhead late Thursday afternoon, September 13th, around 6'ish. Hike for about 2 hours and set up camp.

I plan to fax a permit in tomorrow. Anyone else interested? Joseph are you still up for the trip?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools