Topic

no more Houdini in XXL

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) no more Houdini in XXL

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I was thinking of selling my Houdini but I realized that they are no longer making them in XXL. Anyone know why?

Anthony Miller

@heirphoto

Many clothing makers don't cater to larger hikers. Even those with some XXL sizes only offer them in a few models, not across their entire product line, or only in selected colors like black. Probably the majority of sales for them in men's sizes is medium and large with fewer XL sales. XXL is probablt few enough they don't sell their years production in a year. This leads to issues at model change time…..the smaller sizes all get new colors or details and features for the new years models but the manufactuer still has a lot of extended sizes left with the last years features.

I typically wear an XL in jackets but pants and shorts become an issue with many once you pass 34" waists. I think EMS cargo shorts stop at 34". There are plenty of larger guys on the trails and larger does not automatically mean out of shape either.
    Lots of plus 6 footers have 46" or larger chests and waists. Lots of guys with plus 34" inseams too.

I still have a brand new Houdini XXL that just happens to be too big on me! Anyone still need one let me know but I do lament that in some clothing like hard shells I would love to find a true XXL

I think Marmot trimmed down their line for 2012 as a 2011 XL Minimalist is huge, the 2012 XL Minimalist is now an athletic cut and will not layer as well.

Tony

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Get the First Ascent Sirocco Wind jacket instead. All they have left is XL and XXL sizes as well as Tall sizes and it's on sale for $19.99. I have this jacket and it's perfect. I say this even having tried on the Houdini, the Houdini is not a better jacket.

Link to Sirocco

http://www.eddiebauer.com/catalog/product.jsp?ensembleId=38933

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools