Topic

Cuben Fiber Hammock

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Cuben Fiber Hammock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Chris Jackson

@chris_jackson

Bill,

Thanks for the additional information on temperature ratings. Your results are very encouraging. For temperatures of mid-20's or above, it seems that there is a negligible weight penalty for using synthetic rather than down. The synthetic insulation itself is heavier, but that can be offset in a number of ways; using 0.6 oz/yd silk inner and outer, no need to overstuff to mitigate down migration, also no baffle material.

In the past I have always used down, so I have no experience with older synthetics such as Polarguard 3D etc. It sounds as though you've used both the old and new synthetics, and found the new to be much improved?

You've convinced me to make a quilt using 4 oz insulation (if available). Whether I end up "crying like a baby" (to quote Frank) remains to be seen!

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

I decided to hang my Cuben Fiber Poncho / Tarp over my Cuben Fiber Hammock and to see how it might work.

It was still daylight when I started and then I got to comfortable in the Hammock and fell asleep. I took the pictures in the dark with my flash on.

The Poncho / Tarp just covers the Hammock and might work in all but a blowing rain. When I am in the Hammock my weight drops the Hammock down enough to be under the tarp.

The Cuben Fiber Hammock at 6.9 ounces hanging, then adding my Cuben Fiber Poncho / Tarp at 5.45 ounces complete, and I have a shelter and my rain gear that weighs 12.35 ounces. This combination is something to think about but it may be just a little to small.

I do believe I have bracketed the size I want between the my MAC Cat Tarp and my Poncho / Tarp. I have a few ideas to try before I make another tarp.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

12.35 – atta boy, Bill! The beautiful thing here is you could configure a Cuben tarp that's 20 or 30 percent larger – enough for rain splash and still be under the magic one pound mark.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

I took a couple of daylight pictures of my Cuben Fiber Poncho / Tarp hanging over my Cuben Fiber Hammock.

What you can't see in the pictures is rain. We were having a light rain so I went out an got in the Hammock. I wasn't sure how the small Cuben Fiber Poncho / Tarp would work. Laying in the Hammock the light rain picked up to a heavier rain. This went on for about 30 minutes and then slacked off a bit. The Hammock sagged enough with me in it to drop it down under the small size of the Poncho / Tarp. Once in awhile I would get a blowing drop of rain or two. When the rain and wind really picked up I pulled the Cuben Fiber from the sides around me more to stay warm than to stay dry.

While I was laying there watching the rain fall, I got several ideas to try that may let me use my Poncho / Tarp with a couple of light weight and minor modifications. The modifications will be add ons so I can use them or leave them off.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Hey Bill,
    Maybe a something as simple as a line going from the center sides of the tarp to the center of the outer sides of the hammock could do the trick.
    That way when the hammock sags the center of the tarp would just come down with it.

Nice looking rig you've got there.
    I'm sure you can make it work with out having to go back to the drawing board.

Colin Briggs
    BPL Member

@colinpbriggs

Locale: Melbourne Australia

G'Day everyone, great to see so many people experimenting with making your own gear! I've been making my own packs and clothing, wet weather gear, quilt etc. So far I've used Dyneema (Golite breeze fabric), primaloft, silnylon etc. I'm really keen on trying out the fabric made of Cuben fibre, where do you source it from? Is Cuben the same as Spinnaker fabric? I'm also toying with making a new quilt. Is the Climashield XP suitable for a quilt and where do you source it from? I'm in Australia so I need a source that will ship international.
    Thanx Colin…

Just opened my eyes and saw all of Bills posts re sources of Cuben! I would still like a source of Climashield.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Colin,

You type faster than I do.

You can get Cuben Fiber from
    Quest Outfitters they will ship it to you. You can find their email address on the web site if you want to ask them about shipping cost etc.

Cuben Fiber is not the same as Spinnaker material.

Climashield XP would make a good insulation for a quilt and comes from
    Thru-Hiker.com and I believe they will also ship to you. You will find his email on the web site.

Royal Magnell

@blueman

Locale: Northern CA

Bill,
    I just recieved my half ounce a yd silk for my quilt and I should be recieving my momentum soon. So I was wondering what the best way to dye silk is? I wouldn't care execpt white will show dirt really fast! Thanks!

Royal

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Royal,

Look in your local super market or Wal Mart for RITE Dye. If you can't find it ask. It comes in about 6 or 8 different colors,is cheap and easy to use. Do follow the instructions.

Make sure your silk is very wet before putting it into your dye pot.

Royal Magnell

@blueman

Locale: Northern CA

Thanks for the tip! I should have thought of that myself as I was just at walmart an hour ago. Live and learn!

Royal

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Winterizing My Cuben Fiber Hammock.

I am working on a way to extend the use of my Cuben Fiber Hammock down to a low temperature such as 20 or so F.

I have always used a sleeping pad or my Stephensons Warmlight Down Air Mattress (DAM) inside my Hammock when I need more insulation to keep my backside warm. When I made my Cuben Fiber Hammock I had less room inside the Cuben Hammock then I did in my Silk Hammock.

Paul, I friend of mine and Hammock Hanger had talked a lot about double bottom Hammocks. I didn't want to use another large piece of my Cuben Fiber just for a double bottom. This afternoon I had an idea, why not tie my Cuben Poncho/ Tarp under my Hammock. I have to make another larger Tarp so I could multi-use the Poncho / Tarp when necessary.

The following pictures tell the rest. The temperature while I was doing this was 38 degrees F with a nice wind blowing. I have to say I am pleased so far with how this has turned out. To test the setup I got into the Hammock. My weight presses me into the Down Air Mattress. The longer a was in the Hammock the warmer my back got. The Poncho/Tarp edges fold over some and encase the Down Air Mattress holding it in place.

How much does all this weigh:

Cuben Hammock Hanging – 6.65 ounces
    Double Bottom – Cuben Poncho / Tarp – 2.8 ounces.
    Warmlight Down Air Mattress – 24.53 ounces.
    Inflate Bag – 2.8 ounces.

Total weight: 36.78 ounces

I am not real happy about the weight of the DAM but I have used it for several years and trust it down to near 0 degrees on the ground.

I will be working on what I use for top insulation over the next few days. I may be able to make back some of the weight I gave up for the DAM.

Ike Mouser

@isaac-mouser

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools