Topic

Dawson Pass Loop GNP

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Dawson Pass Loop GNP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Locale: Utah

My family and just got back from spending a week in GNP. Three of those days where spent backpacking the Dawson Pass Loop. This route split into three days turned out to be perfect for my younger two kids. As we where getting ready at the trail head we spotted a sow Grizz and her cub on the hillside above Two Medicine Lake. We spent the first night at Noname Lake and the second night at Old Man Lake. Seems like most people prefer Old Man Lake but we all liked the camp at Noname Lake the best. The second day on the ridge between the two lakes was spectacular! The views where amazing. Seen quite a few Bighorn Sheep in this stretch as well. The highlight of our entire trip for sure. Despite carrying more stuff than I would without my whole family along I still ended up with a fairly reasonable weight. For shelter we carried a Tarptent Stratospire 2 and a GG SpinnTwinn. These two shelters worked out great for our family of 5. The Stratospire 2 is roomy enough that my wife and youngest two kids (8 & 12) fit great. My 15 year old son and I slept under the SpinnTwinn. I can't imagine having a much lighter shelter setup for a family of five.

Taking a break on Dawson Pass
    Taking a break on Dawson Pass
    Dawson Pass
    My son and I checking out the view from Dawson Pass
    My daughter leading the way.
    My 12 year old daughter leading the way.
    Camp
    Our camp at Old Man Lake. Hard to fit our two shelters in the designated sites. And yes my Tarptent is looking a little saggy, I fixed it.
    Family
    Heading out on the last day below Old Man Lake.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools