Topic

Lightweight 2 person bug nets

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight 2 person bug nets

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Graeme Finley

@gfinley001

Locale: SF Bay Area

I had been planning to buy one of the MLD 2 person bug tents, but it looks like they won't come on sale until after I've already started by PCT hike. Other than the Golite Lair 2 Nest (a full 1lb 8oz) does anyone have suggestions for a fully enclosed 2 person bug shelter?

Frank Ramos

@frprovis

If either you or your partner can sew, and I mean really basic beginner-level sewing, then you could try Ray Jardine's Net-tent kit (http://www.ray-way.com), which weighs about 12 oz for the 2-person version. Or you could modify my 1-person bug-bivy design to make it a bit wider (http://www.geocities.com/frhiking/sewing_bugbivy.htm). Ray's design holds the netting up so the interior of the bug-net feels more like a tent interior, whereas my design only holds the netting up over the head. I don't consider this a significant advantage, since even with Ray's design the interior is quite cramped. I find Ray's design is too complicated both to make and to set up, which is why I came up with my own design.

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

I know of heavier options, some even free-standing. I know, this doesn't help much, but maybe this will…

Contact David Olsen at Owareusa.com. I would bet he could hook you up with something (he makes bug bivys) – not sure about the lead time though.

Ernie Elkins

@earthdweller

Locale: North Carolina

Integral Designs offers a bug tent that's designed to work with their Silshelter (Silshelter Bug Liner). At 17 ounces, I think it's the lightest alternative to MLD's Serenity Shelter.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

1) If your bug net is separate from the tarp, it will inevitably weigh more than a net integral with the tarp.

B) If you sew a 24 to 30" strip of net around the edges of the tarp and a sort-of triangle at each end (with the apex to the ground and a long, straight edge along the end of the tarp) you will have great bug protection while keeping most of the versatility of the tarp. In other words, the net is like a curtain. You can set the tarp high for ventillation or low to ride out heavy weather. The net drapes on the ground – that is enough to keep the bugs out. I don't even bother to hem the net. I use a separate ground sheet – stopped making fully floored bug tents 10 years ago after many years of pointless refinement.

Anitra Kass

@anitraten

Locale: SoCal

Graeme,
    If you find that the MLD will come out around the time you hike the PCT or you contact Oware and they can't get it to you by the time you start your hike think about this…
    In 2005 when I hiked the PCT, the bugs didn't get bad (for me)until after Tehachapi…so maybe you could get your bug hut sent to you on the trail…I know you wouldn't be able to try it out ahead of time but it's an idea.
    NITRO

Adam McFarren

@amcfarre

FYI, I've got a gently used ID BugShelter for sale on this thread if you're interested:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/6296/index.html?skip_to_post=44734#44734

It wouldn't be roomy for 2, but may be fine for a couple.

-adam

Eric Carlsen

@cooleric1234

You could always go with a mosquito net like the bottom one on the page below. On the downsides it's not fully enclosed (you'll need a ground sheet) and it's not no-see-um proof:

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/11

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools