Topic

Noob Trip Ideas

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Weiser

@mustangt125

Hey guys, I am new here. There is a lot of information to digest regarding backpacking and camping in Colorado so I figured the best way was to go to the people.

I have limited experience in the mountains but I do have experience with camping deep in nature, I just got back from the Boundary Waters in Minnesota.

My next idea was to go into the mountains in Colorado. Ideally, I would be backpacking with a buddy or two up into the mountains. There is probably no need for us to go too high up, though, since we are noobs.

Backpacking up to a campsite where we could stay 2-3 days is what we are looking for. On top of that we were hoping to have some mountain lakes where we could fish from.

Is there any directions you guys could point me in to something like this? Many of the websites out there detailing the parks just aren't exactly what I am looking for and are somewhat difficult to navigate.

Backpacking to a campsite where we can fish is what we are looking for. Is there a certain park, trail, or area better for these opportunities?

Thanks for anything,
    DRW

Guy Trek
    BPL Member

@trek_guy

Greetings. I am relatively new, too, and just got back from an awesome trip in CO. Find a map of Rocky Mountain National Park if you want to follow along with my itinerary. We started at Kawunuchee visitor center which is near Grand Lake (west side of the park) and camped at Big Pool the first night. We camped at July the next 3 nights. From July we did a day trip up to Lake Nokoni one day, and up to Flattop Mountain/Hallett Peak one day, leaving most of our gear back at camp for a light load in the pack. There were streams everywhere along the trip; my buddy had good luck fly fishing around Cascade Falls and Big Pool. I'm not sure if there is good fishing at Lake Nokoni or not, but I did see someone pass us on the trail heading up there, though he was heading to Lake Nanita. Highlights of the trip for me were Lake Nokoni (breathtaking looking at a clear lake on top of a mountain) and Hallett Peak (amazing views). This was a 5-day trip, which is a little more than you asked for, but you could structure it differently I suppose, and it all depends on how many miles you want to hike. The reason we stopped at Big Pool the first day (low mileage) was to acclimate to the elevation, which was useful. I highly recommend this area.

Harrison Carpenter
    Spectator

@carpenh

Locale: St. Vrain River Valley

+1 on RMNP. There are numerous places to hike to if you're looking for good campsites/fishing. Working out of the Western side of the park, and/or the Wild Basin area, would help you avoid the crowds.

I'd personally recommend the Indian Peaks Wikderness Area, as well. It's scenery is stunning, and there are fewer permit hassles. Outside of a few Backcountry Zones, the USFS condones "dispersed camping," so you are free to stay where it looks good. If you have a 4WD vehicle, you can access some of the remote trailheads.

andrew brown

@abrown3mtg

Locale: High Rockies

Both in the Breckenridge, CO area. About 3 miles in to camp, numerous day hike/exploration/fishing opportunities and great waterfalls on both hikes. Also both locations have multiple lakes to pick from.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools