Topic

Camp sandals that work with socks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Camp sandals that work with socks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Hello, I hike in FiveFingers and am looking for a sandals that I could wear around camp when it is a little colder with my wool socks. Basically something like the Chacos that do not have the single toe loop up front but looking for something much lighter.

Thanks!

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Anyone have any experience with these shoes? Look promising…

Thanks!

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

You could wear slides. $6 at Walmart. I can weigh them if interested.

andrew brown

@abrown3mtg

Locale: High Rockies

Dry quick, light, and comfy. I recently bought a pair on the new balance barefoot style trail running shoes though. Fit well, dry quickly, and lighter than sandals. Might consider something like that sized up a bit.

Latham Farley

@lathamfarley

Locale: Midwest

I have wondered this same question, Austin. I took my chaco Z1's (without toe strap) for years and used them for water crossing and camp shoes. I finally decided they were to heavy. I asked around and someone told me to try the 5 fingers but like you said, I want something with socks and not the ones you have to have the toe socks for. I was advised to try crocks and water shoes. I went to Walmart and got some $5 water shoes that did GREAT in Colorado as a camp and water crossing shoe but they were still heavier than i wanted. I must say they did have good grip and dried extremely fast.

Someone else told me to try Crocks. They said they were decent in the water, comfortable and you could wear them on the way home after backpacking. Anyone with experience with Crocks?

Andrew had a good idea with the barefoot style trail running shoe. I might try that as well.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

VivoBarefoot Ultra Pure. Fantastic, lightweight, great grip in water, exceptionally comfortable. I even used them for a bit of rock scrambling on my recent Sierra trip. Best camp shoe out there, in my opinion.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

The Ultra Pures look nice! I currently use a pair of Patagonia Advocates that have served me well and are quite light. They're better suited for cooler weather (as they lock in a lot of heat), but work great all around.

Patagonia Advocate

Are the Ultra Pures 3.7oz total or is that per shoe? Seem like a nice light shoe that you wouldn't have to worry about having to let dry.

Sumi Wada
    Spectator

@detroittigerfan

Locale: Ann Arbor

I hike in trail runners and don't change for stream crossings, so my camp shoes are exactly that, just for camp. I don't want to have to tie or buckle shoes in camp; just slip on, barefoot or with socks. Crocs are perfect for me and they're always dry, which is a must since my trail runners can be wet. The croc knock-offs are lighter than the real thing. (7oz for the pair for woman's size 8)

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Thanks guys, I hike everything in my fivefingers so just looking for something around camp when I want to put on my warm socks, fingers are fine when it's warm out. Those Patagonia ones look nice.

Croc users…aren't they kind bulky to bring along in the bag? Thanks!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"Are the Ultra Pures 3.7oz total or is that per shoe?"

3.7 oz per shoe, but easy to lighten to around 3 oz per shoe.

Craig .
    BPL Member

@zipper

Locale: LOST, but making good time

Not good for stream crossings but…camp shoe

2.2 oz. pair.

Sorry wrong image. Can't seem to post correct image. I'll keep trying.

Craig .
    BPL Member

@zipper

camp shoe

Craig .
    BPL Member

@zipper

cs

bout time. Again 2.2 oz. for the pair. They aren't pretty but they work. Most of the weight is duct tape!

Jake D
    BPL Member

@jakedatc

Locale: Bristol,RI

Any good stores to look for the Crock knock offs? my gf has a pair from a few years ago but i'd like a pair now. walmart?

Austin, you just clip them to the outside.

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Haha, Craig, what are those funny shoes made out of?

So you saying you basically shave away te material on the crocs so they are slimmer?

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Locale: Nashville

Ken,

What is the size of your Patagonia advocates and their total weight?

Charles P
    Spectator

@mediauras

Locale: Terra

Awesome idea!

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

"What is the size of your Patagonia advocates and their total weight?"

Size US 10

9.7oz – With Insoles
    8.6oz – Without Insoles

Zane Darner
    BPL Member

@zed

Locale: Idaho

I've used Crocs for years but am trying a pair of Under Armour soccer slides that are quite a bit lighter. They work in bare feet or with socks; I sized up for comfort. They crush flatter than crocs–easier for side pockets.

I am away from camera and scale so don't have weight or pics for you yet. They have worked perfectly this season. Cabella's, Sportsman's Warehouse, The Soccer Shop, etc.

For ultra-light I am going to try a pair of hospital booties. They won't hold up to heavy use but will work to keep dirt and sap off easily. (Even doubled up they weigh less than one sock.) And they may work for fire starter… Will break out the BBQ bucket to test this weekend.

Any brand of slide would work. This is UA's URL for pics.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/mens/footwear/slides

(Disclaimer: I am not now, have never been, nor ever expect to be associated with any company that would benefit from this insightful, informative, and yes… even sensitive endorsement.)

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

"3.7 oz per shoe, but easy to lighten to around 3 oz per shoe."

What shoe size weights in at 3.7oz? I take it your talking about removing the modular tongue to reduce the weight?

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

What shoe size weights in at 3.7oz? I take it your talking about removing the modular tongue to reduce the weight?

A size 41. And yes, removing the tongue brings it down to 3.25 oz. without really affecting the performance of the shoe. You could also replace the bungee laces with something much lighter to pare that weight down even further if you so wished.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Douglas-

Thanks for all your help and info! Looks like I found my new summer time camp/water crossing shoe!

-KJ

John Peterson

@skik2000

Locale: Boulder, CO

I use a cheap flip flop and for cold weather take a pair of toe socks.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

We're just back from a week in the Sierra, with a lot of rain, some chilly mornings, day hikes and plenty of rock-hopping and lake wading. For our camp shoes, my son and I used pseudo-Croc's that are molded to look like Keen sandals and were $6 and $8 at Walmart. These have a side-velcro, unlike a Keen, and low "street tread", rather than the cleats that my Keens have.

They're light, but have adequate cushion to hike in (I hiked about 2 miles in them one day) and easily work with socks. On chilly evenings or in the morning, they're excellent. For traction on wet rocks, they were pretty darn good and the minimal tread they have didn't leave much in terms of marks on the lake bottoms. They shake dry and don't seem to absorb water.

If we weren't on-trail with packs on, we were in the Croc-offs and they were not only excellent but will clearly last several more trips. We both strapped them to the outside of our packs.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools