Topic

Gear list for a Slovenia Thru-hike

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Gear list for a Slovenia Thru-hike

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

Hello guys.
    I am about to cross Slovenia via the Slovenia High level route a 6 week 550 KM route.

This is my first use of the Geargrams so bare with me.
    You are strongly encouraged to tear my list apart. all feedback will be greatly appreciated.

things i consider:
    1. Leaving the pegs at home and using stones from my camp surroundings.
    2 Leaving the water bladder at home and using a simple plastic bottle.

oh yeah and the link is http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=9229

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Your FAK and tooth brushing are almost a pound, together aim for 3-5oz maximum.

5.7 pound pack, enough said.

ditch the half pound water bladder for aquafina bottles with removed labels.

ditch the .66 pound aluminum cooking pot, titanium is well worth the investment. Titanium also does not give of foul chemical taste when your cooking.

Jeremy Platt
    BPL Member

@jeremy089786

Locale: Sydney

Hi Arthur,

Generally a nice list and have fun in Slovenia!!

My little tips:

Water bladder – try swapping for PET bottles or platypus
    Buy a smartphone – no longer need MP3 player, Camera and Guidebook – my Samsung S2 takes acceptable photos, and I'm sure there are better ones?
    Guidebook – either scan onto phone or cut out only the bits you need (and then laminate them)
    Pegs!!! – You would have spent serious $ on that lovely sleeping bag, it is definitely worth spending a couple more on good pegs. I love CF pegs, they sound ridiculous but I have found them to hold much better than titanium for their weight (much wider shaft)

Again, have fun!

Cheers,

Jeremy.

Nick G

@hermesul

The things to look at most in your pack (some already mentioned):

1. Invest in a lighter pack. It will make your life easier. If you have a small torso, REI has an Osprey Hornet 46 on closeout for $110 (weighs about 600g). Others can suggest better packs for certain, depending on whether you want to go frameless. By itself, this could amount to a weight savings of about 25% of your total pack weight.

2. Clothing-I know nothing about the conditions you'll be encountering, but I looked up some info on Slovenian weather (in August), and it looks to me like you're going to be dealing with temperatures not lower than 8 C/40 F except up in the mountains. If this is at all correct, you don't need to be carrying about 1 kg of clothing in addition to what you're wearing. Look through and see what you can do without at the lowest temperatures you expect.

3. Electronics-You've got almost 500g of electronics, which has got to be more than you want or need. Jeremy's idea of putting the guidebook on your phone is a great idea and will save you another 340g.

4. I wouldn't depend on rocks for tent stakes, but instead buy aluminum or titanium ones. A set of 4 titanium stakes will definitely be under $15, and will weigh in the range of 24 grams.

5. First aid kit and toiletries–Go though what you really need, and you'll be able to cut out at least 250g.

6. You're right about the bladder- switch it out for plastic gatorade bottles or similar, or spend $20 or so to get Platypus bottles which weigh even less.

All in all, it should be very easy to get this pack weighing less than 5 kg, or even 4 kg if you make some sacrifices.

Koen Derks
    Spectator

@pantalaimon

Locale: Netherlands/Norway

Be sure to carry at least 2L of water carrying capacity. I read of some trails in the Slovenian mountains which had unreliable and few water sources. But you probably also did some research for this, right?

ed hyatt
    BPL Member

@edhyatt

Locale: The North, Scotland

Anything to navigate with – compass, GPS, maps?

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

@Nick and Arthur:
    Is the clothing listed only extra clothing, or does it include what you are wearing?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools