Topic

Another wide-mouth plastic bottle bites the dust…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Another wide-mouth plastic bottle bites the dust…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Simon Wurster
    BPL Member

@einstein

Locale: Big Apple

First, Aquafina, now Snapple. Snapple has changed the 1 liter plastic bottle to a narrow(er) mouth, and taller/narrower shape (some may welcome that).

See the thread here for the original shape/size.

I think that just leaves Gatorade as the sole wide-mouth, resuable/recyclable, after-market backpacking water bottle. (Powerade uses the narrower mouth.)

Some smaller retailers still have the older bottle design, so grab them while you can!

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

I think the 'old' snapple is the same as Vitamin water 1L..

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

When I'm bringing a Steripen, I also bring a bottle that the Dole Harvest Best fruits come in. It's only 24.5 oz but has a really wide mouth which is great for the Steripen. I got that tip from somebody on here. 1.9 oz. When I need to carry more water I pour from that into lighter bottles.

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I just migrated to a $10 wide mouth Nalgene which was lighter than my Gatoraid 1L bottle and stores 3L.

I think MOST of the weight involved the plastic lid.

I wasn't able to shave much weight by going to 1L …

but now I can carry 4L of water on me should the need arise.

I like to backpack in areas with significant water but often you need to lug a bunch of water to your camp site.

There are a few campsites along the rim of some canyons which lack water but are about a mile from a stream.

Now I can bring 4L of water to my site :)

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

IF you don't have nut allergies, the Planters narrow waisted bottles come in both 26 and 32 oz (for water, not peanuts – the 16 oz. peanut bottle holds 26 oz of water, something I learned from John Donewar, aka Newton), have a wider mouth than the Nalgenes, and are well over an ounce lighter, even after adding a MYOG cap retainer. The 32 oz or 1 L will fit pretty much anywhere a Nalgene will go, is easier to hold, and stands up better.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools