Topic

Hayduke section in December

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Hayduke section in December

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mary R
    BPL Member

@pietimer

Hey all,

I'm considering doing the first 200 miles of the Hayduke trail over Christmas and New Years. My current plan is to ditch a bike near the Utah Highway 95 crossing, then park and start the hike in Arches. Then, I would hike down to Poison Springs Canyon area and bike back up to Arches along the roads (~150 miles). I figure I can hike about 20 miles a day and take two slower days biking back to complete the route in about 12 days.
    Does this plan sound reasonable/feasible?
    What will the weather be like in this area at that time of year? Will my 30* bag suffice?
    Will water be reliably available?
    Is it pretty safe to stash my bike around there?

I'm also open to any other trip suggestions. I'd really like to do a 12 day trip somewhere in the US over Christmas and New Years. However, I'm not equipped for massive snow/cold.

Thanks!!

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

I would say that a 30 degree bag would be grossly inadequate for what you are proposing– I have occasionally found my 30 degree bag barely adequate in April and October. The 20 mile days also sound overly optimistic– with the very short winter days, and the hiking in sand and route-finding, I would think 20 mile days would be hard to accomplish, and leave very little time for appreciation of your surroundings.

Okay, that comes out sounding pretty negative…. Have you considered something a little further south, maybe Arizona? Less risk of having to deal with snow, and your bag MIGHT get you by down there….. Or somewhere in southern Calif.?

Good luck with your plans!

Jack H.

@found

Locale: Sacramento, CA

I agree with Kimberly. It can be REALLY cold at that time of year. Heck, I'd bring my -20 bag. Will water be readily available? No.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools