Topic

Motels at altitude to prep for a trip?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Motels at altitude to prep for a trip?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I may be dreaming here, but does anyone know of any motels at altitude within a few hours of Kings Canyon (North lake entrance, or even Cedar grove entrance)
    I was hoping for something at 7 or 8K ft or so just to help acclimate before a high altitude trip.

Camping at a trailhead just doesn't seem super fun to me.

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California
    obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Mammoth Lakes, about an hour from North Lake. Lots of motels to handle the winter skiing crowd. Also a variety of day-hiking opportunities on reasonably level trails at nicely ascending elevations. Do a day at the mid 7's to mid 8's then one at 8 to 9 etc.

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Mammoth Lakes is a great place to hang out to acclimate whether you motel it or camp. Lots of both available right in town. Lots to do besides twiddle your thumbs.
    You can even do an easy day hike or take the gondola up to the top of the ski hill, at 11,300', to get a little extra rarified air.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Thanks everyone!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools