Topic

Dual Use Gear That We Never Take Hiking But Just Have To Have ;-)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Dual Use Gear That We Never Take Hiking But Just Have To Have ;-)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

On a recent stroll through my local Academy Sports and Outdoors I spotted this piece of dual use gear.

Nite Ize S-Biner Ahhh

I had seen it before and put it back. This time I took the un-priced item to a scanner just out of curiosity and it bit me. The biner was on clearance for $0.83. I had to have it.

It weighs in at 34 grams and no I don't carry it anywhere except to any bottle of brew in my house in need of opening! ;-)

Any one else out there willing to share their impulse buys? ;-)

Party On,

Newton

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Slightly off topic, but dual-use gear is fabulous. For me, toilet paper is dual-use. I just have to remember – FIRST blow your nose, THEN wipe your butt. Not the other way around……

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I have that same bottle opener/'biner as a keyring.

But see, beer is important enough to me that I bought mine full price, $5 I believe, and carry it at all times.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Doug,

Similar to FIRST eat the corn off the cob and then …

Where is Mike Clelland when you really want to hear from him?

There was no TP used in the posting of this thread.

;-)” height=”56″ src=”https://dpcr19kltm61a.cloudfront.net/backpackinglight/user_uploads/1345047722_66770.gif” width=”91″ />

Party On,

Newton

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

I just realized that I do have another piece of gear that I bought and never carry.

UCO Micro Candle Lantern

Lantern opened for use

I like it enough to keep it but I never carry it! ;-?

Party On,

Newton

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Craig,

I'm not sure about dual use but I've bought plenty beer in my time and I don't carry it in my pack.

But I do look for it in trail towns whenever I'm in one and done hiking for the day.

Dual use?!?!?!?!?

Refreshment, irrigation and fertilization (nitrates). ;-)

Party On,

Newton

John Torrey
    Spectator

@torrey1954yahoo-com

Locale: Black Hills

I don't carry any beer either, but if your new to trekking with me, I put some beer in your pack when you were not looking back at the trail head.

Nick G

@hermesul

I ran across an offer on a cereal box once where you just had to send in a couple box tops to get a fork/spoon combo utensil, so I did it. Carried it before I got serious about ultralight, but now I wouldn't dream of it–the tool weighs significantly more than a fork and spoon out of my drawer, let alone my .3 oz spork.

Still, it always used to be fun to brag about the multi-use tool that I got from a cereal box! Still have it somewhere.

Tanner M

@tan68

I like the candle lantern. With the right type of hat, it would make a really cool accessory for the model train person.

I have a candle lantern and used to carry it. I liked the light and it seemed homey. I guess my way to fulfill the need for fire. I never much cared for campfires.

I stopped carrying it… sometime?

A few years ago, I took it with me especially to light the tent in the avatar picture. For months, I knew the picture I would take. Remembered to pack the candle lantern for travel. Forgot to put it my pack for walking…

All I had was a cold headlamp. Not even a daylight color headlamp.. No warm candle light.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools