Topic

Clothing for Whitney late Aug

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Clothing for Whitney late Aug

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Dave Jenkins
    Spectator

@jinx667

Locale: NC

Heading to Whitney in a week. We are starting at Cottonwood and exiting Whitney Portal.

I plan to take the following as far as clothing:

Icebreaker T
    Patagonia Cap 2 top/bottom
    ExOfficio air lite shirt
    Montbell Ex Light jacket
    Arc'teryx Theta SL or Marmot Precip Shell (still deciding)
    Merino Wool beanie
    Z-Pack rain kilt
    ExOfficio boxer/briefs
    Arc'teryc pants (lightweight not sure of model)
    Smartwool PhD socks
    Merrell Moab boots

My biggest concern is the last night camping in the Guitar Lake area, as it may be quite chilly. I am replacing my fleece with the MonBell down jacket, and I use a Montbell down 30F bag. I prefer to sleep on the cold side, so I am figuring this is enough stuff.

What say you?

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I've hiked Whitney three times — all in August. During the day, it ranges from cool in the morning to warm in the mid afternoon. At night, count on low to mid 30's — not that cold really.

I think you're bringing too many pieces. All you need are:

Tops

1 base layer – either Icebreaker T or Exofficio air shirt – no need for both
    1 insulation layer – MB Ex Light jacket
    1 shell layer – Arcyteryx or Marmot

Bottoms

1 Exofficio briefs
    1 Arcteryx hiking pants
    1 pair smartwool socks
    1 pair Merrell Moab boots

I assume the Patagonia Cap 2 top/bottom are for sleep wear? That's fine. I would also add a pair of liner socks as well — for added comfort and to help keep your bag cleaner.

I suggest bringing a pair of gloves – light ones will do.

Finally, I would leave the Merino Wool beanie and Z-Pack rain kilt at home. I find the hoodie of my shell jacket good enough. And it rarely rains in late August — to me anyway, the top shell will suffice.

Have a fun hike!

Dave Jenkins
    Spectator

@jinx667

The Capaline was to bring as a layer in case it got really cold. I generally just sleep in my clothes.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

You are welcome, Dave.

I view myself a bit on the wimpy side when it comes to cold — although not the wimpiest. For me, I would leave the capilene top/bottom at home as well. Thinking about it, your MB 30F should be fine if evening lows are at expected level. And then, your base layer, your MontBell down jacket, and your shell jacket should offer plenty of insurance. YMMV, of course.

BTW, I will be hoofing it up there with Brian Green (fellow BPL forum poster) as well — but taking the Portal route up to Trail Camp and summit:

8/27 – Portal – car camping to get aclimated
    8/28 – Trail Camp (12k)
    8/29 – summit and back down to Trail Camp
    8/30 – back to Portal

Maybe we will bump into each other?

Dave Jenkins
    Spectator

@jinx667

You will miss me by a few days. We are exiting via Whitney Portal on the 24th.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Shucks. Anyway, fun and safe trip to us all.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools