Topic

best practice for seam sealing a new tarp?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) best practice for seam sealing a new tarp?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

What's considered the best way to seal the seams on a new silnylon tarp? I've seen various methods described but little followup on long term effectiveness and durability.

Years ago I used undiluted McNett Sil-Net but that was really thick and seemed like overkill.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Permatex flowable windshield silicone

another link . I have used it and it is easy,doesn't smell,no mess,works great and is still working great.

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

I plan to set the tarp up as normal then apply the sealer. Is the Permatex so thin that it will run out of the seam upon application, or does it have enough tack (or tact? haha) to stay in place as it cures?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Tarptent has a good video that shows the entire process – making the sealer and application
    http://www.tarptent.com/ttvideos.html#seamseal

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

No it will not run,it is not messy,stays where you put it,no smell,no mixing easy to use.

diego dean
    BPL Member

@cfionthefly

I have to do some sealing on my tarp pullouts. Should the sealant go on the inside or outside or both? Thanks

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

I went with the Permatex as Anna suggested and it worked great. Perfect consistency, at least at room temp. Easy to work with, no smell. A 1.5 ounce tube was just enough for an OWare 9×9 tarp including the custom beaks. Some of that remained in the tube and some was wiped off as waste so the total weight added was less than 1.5 ounces.

Highly recommend the Permatex.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools