Topic

Keeping your face warm in the rain?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Keeping your face warm in the rain?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

In extended, windy, cold rain I find that my face gets chilly, especially my nose. I have an REI buff that I can put over like a face mask. I have been thinking about getting the wool buff, warmer when wet. Not very windproof though, but maybe all you need. I haven't tried this yet. I have also thought about taking some kind of poly fabric and cutting it to the size of a shemagh. Just so long as it's not cotton (that would freeze your face off).
    Most balaclavas I have found were either too constrictive or would probably be too warm. What would you guys use?

Mark Dijkstra

@markacd

A good hat with a wide stiff brim might be all that you need. Keeping your face dry may do more than a lot of extra insulation.

wander lust
    Spectator

@sol

if it is not windy: try an umbrella

otherwise wear a good rain jacket with a good hood and a good and high collar.
    you can also wear a baseball cap to keep the rain of your face and just put a synthetic buff over your nose.

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

What about a neoprene face mask (aka half mask)? They are commonly sold for motorcyclists and snowmobilers…it's not a balaclava, just a wrap-around face mask. It would do a good job keeping your face warm without restricting heat loss from your head and neck the way a balaclava would.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

My wife and I fight over the Smartwool neck gaiter.

For actual protection and gangsta points I use my Ninjaclava (with the two little stitches cut *thx Bryce*)

But for chilly hiking the SW neck gaiter is pretty nice to breathe through. When it gets too wet, spin it a half turn.

Craig Rowland
    BPL Member

@craigr

Locale: Pacific NW

I find my wide brimmed hat is usually all I need even in bad downpours. Sometimes I'll pull the rain hood up over it to give extra protection. Also an umbrella as has already been mentioned can be invaluable. Even in moderate winds I can angle it to keep rain off my head. I've never found any kind of wet insulation on my face to be much help. Keeping water off the face is the best approach.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools