Topic

Made my own 6061-T6 frame for my frameless pack.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Made my own 6061-T6 frame for my frameless pack.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Total weight gain +4oz :)

My pack came stock with two floppy pieces of foam, each weighing 1 ounce.

In the pics you can see my ABS plastic sheet that I drilled holes in.

Net weight of ABS plus 1 (1oz) foam piece = 8.2oz

Unsatisfied with the ABS I found a metal shop selling a 6 foot section of 1/4 rod for $11.72 after taxes.

Steps-

1: Eyeball where the rod needs to be bent, bend accordingly using your hands and feet.

2: Figure out what pattern you want then cut the rod using a saw of some sort.

3. File down the one end you cut.

4. Put the finished frame in your pack, figure out a way to secure it.

– Since I had the two ends meet together in the center of my pack, I thought about sewing some 1 inch fabric over the two ends and gluing.

Then Ah Ha, I grabbed my pole repiar sleeve (which I never bring) and it fit over the ends not allowing them to compress.

Then I cut off my hydration bladder hook and feed the top of the frame through the nylon loop.

Whole thing took about 2 hours with driving to get the 6 foot section of T6 rod.

Cliffs: You do not need a pipe bender!

dgbfsfdgvfgdfdkjkkggfgh

cvb

Adrian MITCHELL
    Spectator

@adie-mitchell

Locale: Northwest Mass

so does the aluminium frame add 3oz or 4? and does it feel significantly more sturdy than just the foam/plastic?

Adie

Steve C

@smit

Locale: sierra nevada

What was the thickness of your sheet of ABS?
    Thanks -Steve

michael levi

@m-l

The frame weighs about 4.8ish ounces. The frame with the piece of foam (holes drilled) and splint weigh 6oz, which is a 4oz weight gain from stock.

The pack is very rigid, It would be hard to bend the frame with normal use. You would have to take it out and bend each bend one by one.

Its rigid but flexible, it feels more livley than the ABS. (not sure on thickness, 1/16th maybe).

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Note that DAC aluminum products makes severl styles of tubing and connectors. Including the Uniback.

mister jarvey

@everest88

Where can you purchase the DAC toys?

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I think they can be requested through any dealer that handles DAC. They don't care to get involved in the one-off market, though.

michael levi

@m-l

In the end I scrapped the frame, I found it just isnt needed with the sub 7 baseweight I have.

This pack (Marmot kompressor summit) has some stiff foam and backpadding anyways. I really like this pack, total weight now without frame 21.5 ounces.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools