Topic

BPL Southwest Bikepack Group trip (AZ,NM?). Gauging interest. Anyone?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips BPL Southwest Bikepack Group trip (AZ,NM?). Gauging interest. Anyone?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

As the title says.

I know there are some cyclists here, or wannabe cyclists for that matter like myself ;-p Is anyone interested in planning/doing a BPL group bikepacking trip sometime in the late winter/early spring? I'm thinking central/northern NM.

I live in NM and there are extensive trail/backroad networks for putting together a multiday trip as hard or easy as we want it. Mixed trail, jeep road, unpaved state road, etc. The CDT can be easily connected to or the Grand Enchantment Trail, both offer plenty of options. My thinking is this would be about getting out and seeing a lot of open country and enjoying some company out there while we ride off into the sunset. Pack good food, some libation, evening campfires under a brisk star filled NM sky…. all of those things we admire.

Bikepacking is new to me, but I am trying to dive in headfirst here folks.

Anyone?

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Check out the blog "While Out Riding" and follow some of Cass Gilbert's pedal driven adventures. He's done some romping around NM and showcases the bikepacking conducive nature of the state. Cass did a trip up near the Magdalena mountains and the Plains of San Augustin east of the CDT that inspired me to head north a little and check some of the country out on bike.

This could be a possible area for a trip. The group could convene in Albuquerque and head out south of there.

Thoughts?

I realize I may be thinking aloud here, but hopefully someone butts in.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Bumpity.

I'll keep nagging until someone chimes in. I can wait.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

I might be interested as a fellow total newb. When are you thinking?

edit: if I'd read I'd answer my own questions…anyway, count me as interested.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

When? I'm glad you asked me, because I realize northern NM in early spring could be tricky, it would definitely rule out the Chama River area unless we wanted to deal with slick, muddy, energy robbing mush, and potentially snowy conditions.

Central NM would be "OK", but it is the windy season and a bit of a gamble. Temperature wise early spring is great, but the winds can rip across the open landscape relentlessly and do a number on you.

I'm thinking that riding from Grants, NM south along the Great Divide Route would be a nice route possibility. We could ride from Grants, NM (83 miles from ABQ) south into Silver City, NM (230 miles appx), passing through the sweet little village Pie Town, NM on the way. This is a popular riding section and logistically quite easy.

Just some ideas. I'm not set on the time frame, if we want to push it back to late spring/early summer and do something up north closer to you Brendan, that's fine by me. Maybe meet somewhere in the middle.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Maybe early Spring depending on my work schedule and how well my 29'er holds up. I haven't been serious about biking since 2009 but plan to be building up with daily rides late Sept and October. November through January I'm usually out-of-state. February can be good though I'm also in northern NM with snowsports.

Specifically: This fall I'll be getting back into shape with some rides on Monday (Sunday afternoons also) in the local area (I'm not much of a fall backpacker anyways). Central-southern New Mexico or southeastern Arizona.

Have you checked out the "Sierra Vista" trail east of Las Cruces, Eugene? Goes past the Texas state line towards west El Paso (though I stopped at a dead horse between the road near Vado and NM 404). I'll search for some pics (beautiful area but zero water – perfect for bikes).

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Hey HK, good to hear from you!

You're close enough to get out for an overnight or two once things cool down. I'm very familiar with the Sierra Vista Trail, ran the full length a few years ago and swore to never do it again, the sand on the Franklin Mtn portion is heinous in parts- sucks the energy out of every step. We put on a race on the good section from Bishops Cap north back in Feb. That portion has great singletrack w/ a bit of technical bits, but nothing a 29er and some good body english can't suck up.

A local friend of mine that I occasionally ride with has done some out and back overnights along the Sierra Vista, ride out camp/eat/drink/scramble then head back before the sun eats you. There's always the Rim Trail up in the Sacramentos.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Eugene,

I can totally see mountain-biking Cloudcroft's Rim trail. Some traditional backpackers I was going to hike Ruidoso's Whites with, relocated due to the Little Bear Fire, carcamping and day hiking the Rim trail instead. Met a number of mountainbikers there. A few major gravel road intersections to cache water and shuttles, too.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

Late winter/early spring is good for me because my work (plant/bio surveys) ramps up quite a bit later into the spring. Before then I can be really flexible. I don't know NM at all (although i do know high desert spring mud and wind quite well), so I'll defer as far as routes/locations. I'll call myself 80% committed at this point.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Serge Giachetti is up near you in Boulder, Brendan, he PM'd me and expressed interest in a group bikepack trip as well. I need to get back at him and see what he has in mind.

I'll have a few formulated route possibilities to put on the table soon. The closer we can assemble in the Santa Fe/Taos area the better, that would be right at about the midway point for travelling.

Wade Patterson

@wahday

Locale: New Mexico

Greetings. I’ve been lounging around over at bikepacking.net and the bikepacking forum at MTBR and stumbled across this thread by chance. I live in Albuquerque and am just getting interested in bikepacking. Did a quick overnighter about a month ago in the Zuni mountains near where we own some land. I am interested in partnering with some folks on an excursion (or more) this fall or spring. My challenges include a wife, two kids and a full-time job. But I am tenacious…

I have a different bike now, but here is a write-up on my one overnighter. I’ve done a lot of backpacking and canoe tripping, but am fairly new to bikepacking: http://forums.mtbr.com/new-mexico/trip-report-zuni-mountains-el-morro-valley-crosspost-bikepacking-799991.html

I have been plotting out a route extending from Pie Town to Gallup that could be done in parts or as one longer trip. I think it would take 3 or possibly 4 days altogether, depending on a few factors. Takes you along the Chain of Craters Scenic Byway, then up into the Zunis, travelling northwest along the valleys that lie right in the middle and that run toward Gallup. You can go all the way to Gallup or stop at McGaffey where there is some wonderful singletrack I have been wanting to ride (where the 24 Hours in the Enchanted Forest mtbr race is held each year). There are alternative routes through the Zunis as well, including one that goes by our land and could be a stopover for water and charging GPS/phones (we have solar and rainwater collection) and good grub.

This weekend I am riding a section of this route with a friend. Trying to scope out a route over the divide in the Zunis and also to see the status of some of the identified water sources from the USGS maps. Glad to find some interested folks.

BTW I recently e-mailed with Cass Gilbert who says he will be staying in Santa Fe for a few months this fall/winter. He’s ridden the Chain of Craters and said it was the highlight of their CDT ride. Would be cool to hook up with him on an outing.

Mitchell Rossman

@bigmitch

Locale: Minneapolis-St. Paul

Please forgive the slightly off-topic remark, but check out the AZT 300 and 750.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

I spoke with a NM rider named Tim Nelson who has a few ideas up north, particularly one up in the Zuni Mtns that would take us along the Chain of Craters region and El Malpais, crossing over the Divide. Its a good loop with mixed double track and single track that could easily be done in 3 days.

He's thinking Oct. If anyone is still wanting to get out and ride, send me your email or PM.

Wade, you don't have PM's setup. I've tried to get in touch with you.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools