Topic

line test

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara line test

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

What # line test are you guys using on your light spin setups…2, 4, 6? Looking to catch some small trout in the Sierras.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

For trout up to about 4-5 pounds, I use 2 pound. For steelhead, I use a 6 pound base with 4 pound tippet. 4 pound is sor of a compromise if I ecpect to run into big fish.
    This is spinning gear of course.

For a fly rod, I usually have my 7'6" Orvis Brook trout rod. 4wt, technically, but I re-eyed it. It will cast a 3wtfwd, 4wtfwd and 4 DT(sink or float) or 5DT (float) also. Tippet depends on the fly…usually 14-24 sized hooks for drys, or down to size ten streamers and nymphs. I also have a 6wt Ross pack rod that is OK for packing. A bit heavy, but it works for #8 streamers, large nymphs and small bass bugs. Often, I will blend this with a Childe Spinning reel for trolling in the boat or casting. A really good casting rod for lakes at 8'6"…it will cast a spinner a bloody "mile." with 4 pound. I carry an extra tip eye in case it gets worn. I have several others but I don't carry those in since I broke a couple over the years.

For bushwacking and a hard climb into some smaller water, I would siggest the 2# with some #10 and 12 hooks and maybe 5 or 6 size 16 hooks for catching small bugs and baiting your own hook. A few small bobbers works great when coupled with a 5' 2piece UL rod. Fast action graphite works pretty well.

Here is a picture of a 3-3/4 – 4 pound brook trout I caught in the rain a couple years ago on 2 pound test with a streamer. (Note the fresh hook was added after clipping the streamer off and first 20' of line. For reference,the cup measures about 3-1/2" in diameter, never bothered to really scale it. He was supper for two and a dog.):
    3-34/pound brook trout

Carter Young
    BPL Member

@kidcobalt

Locale: Western Montana

Two pound test monofilament is all you need for trout in the Sierra, but I use four pound because it's easier to tie into knots and you don't need so much line to fill the spool.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

I use 4 lb in the Sierra, because it's easier to tie knots with, as above. I use 2 lb leader, so I guess I am still fiddling with the fine stuff.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Eric, how long of a leader do you use typically?

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Knot tying, that's why I have used 4 lb. line for years, the 2 lb. breaks too easily for me, trying to get that last little bit of tightness. Of course I use a fly with bubble, so no finesse with me fishing, it's an activity and food source at times.
    Duane

Kevin Burton
    BPL Member

@burtonator

Locale: norcal

I use 4lb. 2lb is fine. Also make sure you have your drag set so you can't break the line.

Just be a bit more careful with 2 lb …

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Like Erik, I use 4lb. on the spool with 2lb. leader. The lighter leader is a little tougher for the fish to see in our crystal clear alpine waters in theory, but the main reason I use it is to minimize the lost line if I catch a snag way out in the water. A good snag that requires me to bust the line is easier to deal with when I am only losing the last few feet and my fly. A mid line break and I lose the fly, swivel, bubble and as much as 50-100+ feet of line depending on where it breaks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools