Topic

3-season bag suggestions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals 3-season bag suggestions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Bradshaw

@bradshaw

Locale: Alberta

I'm looking for a new 3 season bag to replace my old 575-fill down, 2.5 lb. bag.
    I had considered getting or making a quilt but am not sure how one would work for me. I'm wide and my shoulders reach the full width of my big agnes pad. So, what would happen with a quilt is that my arms would likely fall off the pad and onto the tent floor.

I don't mind bags but again considering my shoulder width, need something not constraining. Or is there any way a quilt (specific brand) would work for me? I talked to one of the Jacks at Jacks R' Better and it was suggested I purchase all kinds of accessories to help make a quilt fit – this added up in weight and also price. Any guidance is appreciated.

Aaron

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

A lot of people like the MontBell Super Stretch bags. They conform to your width. MontBell is suppose to up the fill in their bags to 800 this year so if you are on a budget you might find a good deal on a 725 fill bag.

I like my Western Mountaineering Ultralite Super, but they are not very wide.

Here's a starting point for traditional bags:
    http://www.backpacking.net/gear-reviews/sleeping-bag-review/sleeping-bag-review.html#top

What temperature rate/conditions are you looking at for 3 season? Tent, tarp, bivy?

Tim Atkinson

@timatkn

I'll second montbell suggestion. Here you will find a few of last years models still for sale.
    http://www.backcountrygear.com/manufacturers/MontBell_bags.cfm
    http://www.modernmountainman.com/catalog.php?type=category&id=5456
    http://www.campsaver.com/categories.php?cid=231&ef=Manufacturer&ev=Mont-Bell

Another good option would be a Western Mountaineering Megalite. Has some extra room for wider people. This place has a pretty decent price —better than what I've seen used ones go for at least. I taked to one of them afew weeks ago and the medium won't be in until at least may though.
    http://www.moabsports.com/web-pid-60MEGALZ-Western-Mountaineering-MegaLite-30-Degree-850-Down-Sleeping-Bag-item.htm

Have fun shopping!

Tim

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I went with the Western Mountaineering Alpinlite Super. Should be plenty wide for you. I particularly like the continuous baffle system which allows for shifting of the down from to top to bottom (or vice-versa) making it a true 3 season bag. Lightweight and packs quite small.

WM Alpinlite Super

Full Down Collar
    5" Loft, 20° F
    5 1/4" Spacing/Continuous Baffles
    19 oz. Down Fill
    64"/39" Shoulder/Foot Girth
    Full-length #5 YKK Zipper
    1 lb. 15 oz. Total Weight

Colin Kelley

@ckelley

Locale: Santa Barbara

I'll second the vote for the Western Mountaineering products. Mont-bell is popular among those who want extreme width with the elastic, but personally I don't care for the Ballistic Nylon (it's highly calendared and hence can be sticky rather than breathable). Mont-bell is not as good on weight as they could be, due to lower down fill power, more fabric for the elastic stretchiness and then that goofy footbox drawcord.

The WM Alpenlite is a great choice in the 20 degree range. The Extremelite fabric is actually Pertex Quantum–the best of the best. The width is a generous 64". It has a full "super" collar (hence the "super" in the name) making the 20 degree rating conservative. And it still comes in under two pounds.

Mike Klinefelter
    Spectator

@mjkline

Locale: Southern California

Just thought I'd add that MooseJaw has a special coupon code for 20% off any one item. They carry the full line of Western Mountaineering products and you can almost never find WM sleeping bags on sale. Better hurry, it's for a limited time. Here's the info:

Simply enter coupon code 200 when checking out and you'll see the most expensive item in your cart automatically reduced by 20%. A few brands are excluded but it's no big deal.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Two problems with Moosejaw:

1. They seemingly carry all WM bags — but NOT the Pod 30 which I was looking for. :( (I know, the Pod 30 has been discontinued, but I was hopting to snatch one).

2. The coupon code above does NOT work for WM bags! Thanks but no thanks, Moosejaw.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Your code just saved me 20% on what I think was their LAST Beal Joker…, free shipping, no tax. that's a smokin deal.
    Thanks again!
    If I delayed I would have lost out.
    Enjoy the madness..

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Aaron, if you are willing to pay a premium you might consider a Back Country Blanket from Nunatak Gear (www.nunatakusa.com). I reviewed this product at http://www.backpackgeartest.org (so to Sleep Gear/Quilts) if you want the long story, but basically Nunatak makes to order and could easily accomodate extra length and width. Even thogh I sleep cold my Blanket has been great down to 25 F and using it as a quilt makes it easy to vary for higher or lower temperatures. Richard

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools