Topic

backcountry insomnia

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Navy Seals take Ambien. Cowboy up and just take it then pass out. But "Be sure you have 8 hours for sleep."

Then there is always liquor. Dr. Daniels or Dr. Beam are usually a good bet.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

"Navy Seals take Ambien."

Watch the movie "Role Models" for an Ambien demonstration!

It's common for me to wake up 3 or more times when camping. Like Rodger mentioned, it is 10x worse when I'm camping with my kids.

Benadryl is also rebranded as a sleep aid. I've heard that it has the opposite effect on some people (wired vs coma) but it completely knocks me out. I have given myself the trail name “Snot Rocket Express” due my allergies when hiking so this has a couple benefits for me. The only problem is that I wake up dehydrated and have to add another liter of water to my morning ritual.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

I struggle with getting a good night's sleep while backpacking too.

I do my best to wear myself out (20-25 miles days are common), I've dialed my sleep system in to the most comfortable set-up I can find (katabatic quillts, exped ul syn mat, exped ul pillow), I've tried melatonin, tylenol pm, benadryl, etc. Nothing seems to knock me out and get a solid night's sleep like I can at home.

And it's not like I'm not used to sleeping outdoors, or in a tent, or in a sleeping bag. A few years ago I traveled for about 6 months and spent every night except for about 10 in my bag/tent. I still get out for at least an overnighter just about every month.

I get enough sleep to still feel pretty good the next day, but there's a couple of long bouts of being wide awake in the middle of the night for an hour or so each time. I spend the time listening to the surroundings, listening to music, reading an e-book on my phone or studying my map. Eventually I sack out again.

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

My two standbys are beta blockers and a bandanna over my eyes. Benadryl works but leaves me feeling groggy if I try to wake up early.

Greg F
    BPL Member

@gregf

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Being further north dawn is about 5 am and dusk 9 or later so this leads to long hiking days. I find getting up right at dawn even slightly before will leave me tired when night comes. Usually to drive to trailheads the first day I am up at 5 as well. I run into problems if I sleep in, the I cant get to sleep or wake up more. So getting up early is key for me

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

This knocks my butt out. Though the resultant snore might not work for close proximity neighbors!

Regards!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

This is my method and it works every time.

1. Lay down in sleeping bag or quilt.

2. Close eyes.

3. Done. I am sleeping.

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

Magnesium, especially the form Magnesium Chloride , often referred to as Magnesium Oil { it isn't an oil but feels like one } applied trans-dermal to your skin will put you into a sound sleep daily for about a month when you apply it -after that time you become accustomed to it and the effect is diminished.Other forms of Magnesium can induce laxative effects.It is implicated in Calcium uptake and nervous system health as well as cell division.
    It lowers blood pressure after about a month of daily application. There is no downside to it -it is cheap, and is a very common deficiency since industrial farming was introduced in the 40's.It has a calming effect and reduces muscle spasms and relieves arterial blood flow. Since there is no money to be made from it it is not of concern to people who sell Pharma for profit.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Remember the danger in mixing benadryl (diphenhydramine hydrochloride) with alcohol drinks. Both depress your breathing in an additive way.

Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I find the following works:

1.) High milage – this is different for each of us, but for me 15 miles is good and 20 miles is my max.

2.) Routine – I follow the same routine each night. I break for dinner on the trail around 4 to 5pm. Eat, clean up, pack up, and then hike until dusk. Make camp, set aside my evening snack of chocolate, hang my food, and tuck in by dark. I do my audio journal on my iPhone, then play Texas Hold'em or cribbage until I can't keep awake.

3.) Comfortable sleep gear – Exped UL 7 mat, Exped UL pillow, a nice Feathered Friends bag, merino sleeping cloths. I have a lot of weight tied up in my sleep system.

4.) Booze – I plan on about 2 oz per night carried in a recycled water bottle.

The last few years my sleeping has been great, averaging about 9 to 10 hours a night, even during storms. I got 11 hours in a couple of times last season.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools