Topic

Help me plan a trip near Asheville, NC.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Help me plan a trip near Asheville, NC.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I'll be in Asheville for two weeks early in September and I'd like to spend 3 or 4 nights hiking and camping. Does anyone have any recommendations on any spots or trails?

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Lots of great opportunities around. The Roan Highlands section of the AT is really nice. Best views in the East I have seen. Plenty of other good AT sections south to the Smokies too.
    Linville Gorge is nice and about an hour away. Its steep going down and back out and lots of beautiful terrain.
    Shining Rock, Art Loeb trail area is not far; I have hiked only parts but I think that whole area is nice.
    The Smokies. Great access for you out of Big Creek allow you to quickly access some high ridges. Mt. Cammerer tower is worth going up to. Plenty of connecting trails down to Big Creek and over to Mt. Sterling so you can make a loop. You could also hike from Big Creek all the way to Newfound Gap and get a shuttle back. Really edless options in the Smokies.
    You'll probably like Ashville too. Spend some time in the old neighborhoods.

Tyler Johnson
    BPL Member

@riemannia

Locale: Northeast Georgia

I love the Art Loeb trail; a friend of mine and I yo-yo'd it MLK day weekend earlier this year and loved it. Should be beautiful in September as well (and a bit less cold). There's also lots of wonderful camping and day hikes in that area off the Blue Ridge parkway (my favorite camping spot is one in Graveyard Fields – blueberry and blackberry bushes galore). Additionally, there's some nice little loops in Shining Rock Wilderness (in which half the Art Loeb resides). http://www.hikewnc.info has maps and descriptions for lots of good hikes in the area; I plan on frequenting it over the next couple of months myself.

The section of the AT in the Smokies is also lovely, you really should check it out if you haven't before. In March I hiked a nice little loop from Newfound Gap along the AT to the north end of the park and then back around the north-northeast border of the park back through the Mt. LeConte area.

edit: Newfound Gap, not Newfoundland Gap…

Latham Farley

@lathamfarley

Locale: Midwest

I agree with the AT comments. Last year my wife and I hiked Newfound Gap to Davenport Gap and there were some great views especially around Charley's Bunion. As noted above, Mt. Leconte is in that area as well and I highley recommend it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll be checking these out.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools