Topic

Tarptent Notch

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tarptent Notch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Kathy A Handyside
    BPL Member

@earlymusicus

Locale: Southeastern Michigan

I've pretty much decided on the Tarptent Notch for my new tent. I really like the two doors – a rarity on a solo tent – and the weight. Granted, it's not freestanding, but I've always staked out my freestanding tents and it always took 6 stakes (one at each corner, and one for each vestibule). The Notch only uses 4 stakes. My current solo tent is REI's previous model of the Quarter Dome T1 and I like it a lot, but I'd like it better if it had a second door so as to more easily use its second vestibule. Plus, it's a little too narrow.

I've watched several videos about the Notch and looked at several photos of it and I liked what I saw.

Do any of you have the Notch and have you used the Notch in the field? How do you like it?

I plan to use my trekking poles with it, rather than the optional poles you can order for it. The optional poles don't look as sturdy as my trekking poles.

Thanks for any input!

Kathy

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Hi Kathy,

I have not used a Notch but I have used a Stratosphire 1 and Scarp 1 and love them.

Franco D will be along in a while to help.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Kathy,

Check out this thread if you haven't seen it yet. Lots of good info. It looks like a solid shelter. I opted for the Stratospire 1 and a little more room and I'm VERY impressed with it so far. I think you'll get the same quality in the Notch.

Rob Daly
    BPL Member

@rdaly-2

Locale: outdoors amap

Kathy, why would you want/need 2 doors on a solo tent? Just curious.

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

I used mine for 11 days in Lapland. I am very pleased with it's versatility and weather worthiness. I have written a quick review on my blog and a longer review is in preperation. My blog address is in my profile. I am travelling at the moment and can respond further later in the week. You can PM me with questions if you prefer.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Roger
    I see you use Pacer Poles.
    Any problem using them with the Notch ?
    Franco

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

". . . why would you want/need 2 doors on a solo tent? Just curious."

Here are a few possible reasons:

1. Open both doors partially or completely for better ventilation.
    2. Open both doors partially or complete for better views.
    3. Put gear in one door's vestibule and use other door/vestibule as primary means of entry/exit, while having direct access to both vestibules from both inside and outside tent.

There are probably more good reasons. Of course nobody _needs_ two doors on a solo tent. But having two doors is definitely better than having just one.

Jon Leinen

@jonleinen

Kathy,

GREAT choice! I have used 4-5 various solo tents over the past 6-7 years and never was asatisfied with the features/weight combination. I ordered my TT Notch last spring and have used it on 6 short trips and 2 extended trips. The 2 vestibules make a HUGE ventilation difference and offer a LOT more usable storage space. Most definetly the best tent I have so far!

I use Gossamer Gear LT4 adjustable poles with mine. I tried non-adjustable poles but they were a little too long and I found wind catching the tent. Lowering the poles helps a great deal in these conditions. The other change I made was to add "D" rings at the peaks where the pole tips go. This helps with "storm proofing" as I found a simple bowline around the pole tips did not hold the tarp down when winds got above 40mph.

I like to be above the treeline and it's gets windy many times so storm proofing is key. PLUS – this lets you open both vestibules for FULL ventilation when the weather is nice!

I think Harry will add the "D" rings if you ask him to when you order your tent.

The only issue I have is that since the tent is not freestanding, you have to be careful where you pitch it. If the ground is too soft the pegs pull out easily (especially when the wind kicks up). This is to no fault of the Notch it's just an issue with all non-freestanding tents.

Jon

Roger B
    BPL Member

@rogerb

Locale: Denmark

A good question Franco.

I use the poles with handles down, I have experimented with handles up but not happy that they will staying place in a strong breeze. The poles work fine as uprights, the only challenge is the attachment of the velcro floor to the pole handle as indicated in Henry's setup video. I found that the velcro was not long enough to going around the angled handles, so instead I attached the velcro to the cords attached to the handles, I then tighten the cordlock on the string to tension the floor which works quite well.

Regarding two doors, apart from breezes and views previously mentioned I also find it ideal for allowing me to stow gear in one vestibule from the outside while having easy entry through the other door.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

hi Roger
    Thanks for that.
    Oddly those Pacer poles popped up in another thread.
    I have a guy here that has an Aarn Designs Pacer 1 tent (nice shelter…) it has pockets to take the handles of the Pacer although I used it with my BD poles.
    The Notch is pretty much a light weight version (for 3 season use) of his tent ,about half of the weight.

BTW another possible use for the second door is simply when someone camps too close to you on one side…
    Franco

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Perhaps the best, most obvios use is simply being able to choose which side of the tent to get out of. In most symetrical tents, it is pretty easy to trade the head end with the foot end, but with one door, it makes it kind'a difficult to remember in the middle of the night.

Kathy A Handyside
    BPL Member

@earlymusicus

Thanks so much, everyone, for all your responses. I'm glad to hear about the good quality of Tarptents, and how well the Notch does in the field. I really appreciate all the information.

Re: why I would like two doors. As others have said, for ventilation and views, as well as being able to access both vestibules while in the tent. Solo tents, because they are "solo" tents, tend to be a bit claustrophobic with only one open side.

Thanks again, everyone. I will be ordering mine come next paycheck. (I just LOVE buying new gear!! LOL)

Kathy

Rob Daly
    BPL Member

@rdaly-2

Locale: outdoors amap

Re: why I would like two doors. As others have said, for ventilation and views, as well as being able to access both vestibules while in the tent. Solo tents, because they are "solo" tents, tend to be a bit claustrophobic with only one open side.

Thank you for the response. I hope you really enjoy your new tent.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

My Notch is supposed to arrive Monday. I won't use it until September for a Colorado trip, but I still plan to set it up in the yard. I'll let you know what I think later…..this will be my 5th TT that I've owned. Currently I have a Rainbow, which I really like. I know one person that has had a few TT and the Notch is his new favorite. I think the dual vestibules will really aid in alleviating condensation, which can occur in humid parts of the country, like Michigan.

Kathy A Handyside
    BPL Member

@earlymusicus

Thanks Rob and everyone for the good wishes for my new tent! I'll let you all know how it does after I take it on its first trip.

Can't wait!!

Kathy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools