Topic

Four Pass Loop

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Four Pass Loop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

buckskin pass

Read my new trip report at Dondo Outdoors.

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

So what did you think of hiking in a popular place and mingling with others? Too much interaction or fun times meeting people?

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

"A crashing sound invades the silence from close by. My pulse starts racing, then slows when I realize that it’s only a deer."

Classic me.

I also enjoyed the couple from the cover of Outside magazine references. I like to call some others North Face, Golite or (choose your other mainstream brand) sponsored backpackers on trail.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Thanks, Yuri. That's a great question, and I'm still mulling it over. It was a lot of fun meeting my fellow hikers, but there were times when I wanted to just be alone out there.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

It is kind of fun when that happens, isn't it, Tim. There was one time when I was in your neck of the woods, I think it was near Eccles Pass, when I could hear a large animal crashing around just outside my silshelter. I was sure it was a bear. Finally, I couldn't stand it anymore and lifted up the side of the shelter only to come nose to nose with a big buck.

Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

OK, this TR is the the last straw Dondo! Whenever I read your trip reports on someplace I've been, I always feel like I haven't paid enough attention!

This is a great trip to do after Labor Day. Very few people, at least by the FPL standards. I have run into the Aspen school kid groups heading up to their camp each time. (It's good to be a kid in Aspen!).

Now I have to tell this story. Last year, my buddy John, Buddy (my dog), and I, were going counter clock wise and ran into 2 guys coming down from Maroon Pass as we were going up. And as they approached I could see that one guy had something suspended from his pack and hitting him in the back of his legs. As he got closer I realized it was their tent. In the original box it came in. I wanted to offer some helpful advice but didn't know how to do so without sounding like a jerk. So I just wished them a great trip and walked on.

Also, if you pull up to the entrance and tell them you are backpacking, they are supposed to let you drive up to the TH parking areas. Twice I've had to park in the overflow lot which is about 1/2 mile from the TH but still better than taking the bus where you are at the mercy of the bus schedule. If you don't mention you are backpacking they will tell you to drive back down the hill and take the bus up.

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

Dondo,

You always do great work but this is one of my favorites. I love the curveball

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

By the way, "The way" was an excellent movie IMHO. I found it more enjoyable than i thought it would be.

I believe many of us are into outdoors because we are seeking solitude and peace within ourselves and it comes easier when no one else is around. But there is *SOMETHING* to sharing the trip with others. The pilgrimage is not the same as a 2-3 day hike, or even a trip similar in length but in more remote locations. I think it is an alternative to solitude to those who don't find venturing outside of relative safety of a well traveled path acceptable for for whatever reason.

But despite the differences, there are many common experiences for anyone choosing one or the other.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Thanks for all the positive comments, guys.

Great story, Randy, and useful information about the parking. Maybe that's why I was the only backpacker on the bus. Doh!

Yuri, very insightful comments. In light of my experience on the Four Pass Loop and your observations, I think I'll watch The Way again to see what more I can get out of it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools