Topic

Ultralight gear list, one step at a time, almost done.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Ultralight gear list, one step at a time, almost done.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Let me tell you that my old sleeping bag weighed 5 pounds… Over the last year I have began hiking more and have finnaly got my weight down about where I want it. My goal was not SPL, just UL.

Right now this list represents dry weight, just stuff that will prettymuch always be in my pack.

Important info: 6' foot tall, 150lbs, male, live where bugs are bad in the summer so full bug protection is needed, usually go out for 2-6 nights at a time mostly in the summer or no snowfall, occasional winter trip.

With my Solite sleeping pad I would like to use it burrito style, but I have NOT bought a pack yet.

Right now I have 2 packs in mind, but I really could use reccomendations on a framed (prefered) pack, 2.5 pounds tops.

Oppinions, suggestions, critiques please…

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=8993

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I hate that I usually use my iPad or iPhone and can't see or share my GG-based list or see others. I would be grateful if, in addition to a link, you – and others – could paste the list in your post along with the link. Look forward to reviewing. Maybe I'll wt to it next week at work when I am in a PC.

EDIT: I was curious and inspired, so I broke out my wife's PC laptop. Good list. My chief comment would be to add clothing carried/worn. That can range from trip to season to choice quite dramatically. I've recently gone to nylon windpants, running shorts, and one long and one short sleeve t-shirt. It's a huge weight savings over my previous convertible pants and button up shirt, with the wind pants and other, heavier items that didn't get used. I still always carry a pair of wool or poly long underwear pants. I usually don't both with a LU top, other than the long merino or poly T I already carry. A big compliment for your list would be the very effective and weight efficient hydration setup you have. Nice work.

EDIT EDIT: You don't have any pack listed currently. What are you using? I'd look at the MLD Exodus, Zpacks Blast 30, or Gossamer Gear Gorilla or, if you mean external framed, the Zpacks Exo at 14 ounces. Great deals to be had from GoLite, you've got your weight down where it really won't matter a whole lot, concern is how long are your trips going to be between resupply and will you need a bear cannister to fit inside?

michael levi

@m-l

Right now im not adding clothing, so far im just getting my pack dialed in (still need a pack obv).

edit: gear list specs are blurry, heres a picture of all my gear though.gdgf

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

Just based on the look of your pack items – and your desire to use your sleeping pad as a burrito frame, I'd say go with the MLD Exodus or Prophet (depending on how much food you want to carry at a time). I found the Exodus comfortable (packed well) to around 22 lbs. I like the new Gossamer Gear Gorilla (have one) and also the Mariposa (if you wanted more volume – which it doesn't look like you'd need outside of carrying more food.

Summary : I'd say GG Gorilla, or the Exodus (like the integrated sit-pad sleeve in the gorilla, and the stays allow for a more comfortable carry if you're hauling 3-5 days of food.

Nick G

@hermesul

You could leave the lid and handles of your pot at home, replaced with aluminum foil and socks/gloves/anything as a potholder. That'd save 1.5+ oz with no lost comfort.

You could also save on the stove weight–my preference is for Esbit stoves because they're cheap and super light, but others hate them for their smell. A good stove choice would save 3 oz.

If you're using the Sawyer Squeeze system, you could carry the dirty water in the bag and have 2 liters capacity without the second water bottle, which would save another 1.2 oz.

Ziploc bags for your cook kit and your first aid could probably save an ounce.

Otherwise, a rather tight and well designed gear list–you are right to say that you are almost done. Unless you want to make some major pack/shelter/sleeping bag adjustments, I'd go hiking once you make it to 7 lbs even.

michael levi

@m-l

I updated the list with my new pack, Marmot Kompressor ($70)

Thanks for the advice about my stove and everyone else input, I know my stove is heavy…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools