Topic

Couple JMT Qs on clothing Sept. trip

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Couple JMT Qs on clothing Sept. trip

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Doing Mammoth Lakes on JMT south to Piute pass trail ending at North Lake the week after labour day weekend.. First Sierra trip.. Was thinking of not bringing a rain jacket, bring Patagonia Houdini, and a $1 Walmart/Kmart rain poncho. I have a 13 or so ounce Marmot rainjacket I would like to avoid bringing. My insulation layer is a synthetic BMW Cocoon..If rain jacket needed probably would bring a driducks, about 6 ounces..

Also, with trail runners are gaiters needed? Have never used them in the east. Am looking at the Dirty Girl Gaiters, though the adhesive or glueing them to back of my shoes not overly appealing..Thank you for any feedback!Mike

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

you don't need glue and velcro with these and they are in stock

simblissity levagaiter

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

Anything can happen at anytime in the Sierras but all I carry is the DriDucks Emergency Poncho. Most downpours in my experience are short lived and anything beyond will have me setting up my shelter and waiting it out. Hiking in mid-late August in 2010 and 2011 I encountered no rain. A bit of snow/hail up near Bishop Pass in 2010 but no rain.
    I usually wear my Simblissity Gaiters with trail runners but they aren't a must. Sections of the trail are sandy/gravely so gaiters can help if you're prone to getting stuff in your shoes. You might find it's not a problem for you.

I'll be going in at North Lake in a few days and heading down to Whitney. I went in at South Lake last year. It's a beautiful area and I'm sure you'll have a great trip.

Anonymous
    Inactive

There is a 2/15 notice on their website saying due to unforseen circumstances shop is closed at this time???Yes the Levagaiter looks like a great gaiter option w/trail runners..

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Brett is a member here you might try pming him. in this post from April he says he should have them back hopefully by July.

Anonymous
    Inactive

thank you

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools