Topic

California SR 108- Condition of Road to Leavitt Lake (Hoover Wilderness)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning California SR 108- Condition of Road to Leavitt Lake (Hoover Wilderness)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I am trying to confirm that my AWD vehicle with 7.5 inches of clearance most likely is NOT recommended on the road from SR 108 to Leavitt Lake. The Bridgeport Ranger station is not answering their phone but from photos on the web it looks like a jeep trail.

Any up to date information is appreciated.
    thx

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Bruce the road is gravely but nice….you will have no problem…enjoy the steep climb coming up 108 from the west….it is STEEP

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Thanks Ken
    Looks like we might be taking my friends 2WD mini van and not my AWD. Is your answer the same.

The alternative TH is looking like Leavitt Meadows.
    Bruce

Bill Law
    BPL Member

@williamlaw

Locale: SF Bay Area

I drove this road 6 years ago or so. I've driven many FS roads in the Sierra from Sonora pass to Mammoth and this was one of the toughest, mostly because of the steepness. There was one (dry) creek crossing early on that was especially gnarly. But up-to-date info can be crucial. The road I drove my last trip, from Minaret Summit out to Deadman Pass, was way easier than the last time I drove it 3 years ago. They rerouted around the bad parts, or did some grading, in the interim. If they just regraded the Leavitt Lake road this spring, then it could make all the difference.

When are you going? I will be driving over the pass next weekend and could take a detour and check it out.

Bottom line: *I* wouldn't plan on going up it in my 2WDs, based on what I saw last time I went up it. YMMV.

That said, you might be better off parking along that road and walking up it (versus starting at Leavitt meadow). It's only a couple of miles to Leavitt Lake, I think. Or, consider starting at Sonora pass. Way less uphill from there.

Bill

P.S. It seems they graded this road in 2008, but maybe not since then? The first picture of the first stream crossing on this page is more like what I saw. Some of the other pictures (the wide, flat, smooth ones) may not do this route full justice.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

We would be driving in this coming Friday.

Any up to date info is appreciated. The car is now a Suburu with 7 plus inches of clearance and Awd but no real low gear.

Bill Law
    BPL Member

@williamlaw

Sorry, I won't be back until Sunday. That vehicle sounds like it will work. I did it in my MDX with 9 inch clearance.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Circilng back a bit late. Thanks Ken and Bill for the tips.

My wife and I did the round trip twice in Aug 2014 in my 4Runner with regular all season tires and real 4WD.  I did find my low gear hill descent mode in the 4Runner very useful on the way out. Not sure I would have felt as confident in my AWD Lexus RX300.  Fording the last stream to get to the flat areas around the lake was fun but I did get out and walk across the ford first to make sure there were no deep holes.  The hike up Leavitt Peak was awesome. I did see several people camped above the Leavitt Lake with both green and red Hillebergs. Cheers/Bruce

Kevin Garrison
    BPL Member

@kgarrison

+1 for starting at the Sonora Pass TH.  The views are incredible.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools