Topic

Help! Trips in two days in SoCal!! Need location!!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Help! Trips in two days in SoCal!! Need location!!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Heading out in two days and need a place to go. Live I Los Angeles, brothers down by Disneyland who is coming. Where looking for a place that preferable within 2 or 3 hours that would be a nice location for a 2 night trip. Doesn't have to be a long hike. Hope to find something with trees for hammock sleeping and water that we can swim in.

Thanks!

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

Water you can swim in is asking a lot in an arid place that gets most of its rain in the winter. Usually, this time of the year, its too hot to hike in the lower elevations. The best hiking in SoCAL would be in the San Gorgonio Wilderness, south of Big Bear, and the San Jacinto Wilderness, west of Palm Springs. Both offer mountains going over 10,000ft and plenty of trees. Both offer some excellent 2-3 day trips. If this had been a wetter year, you'd have a chance to get wet at either Dollar or Dry Lake in San Gorgonio. Maybe next year.

Brad Walker

@brawa

Locale: SoCal

SEKI (Sequoia) is just slightly out of your drive range but IMO is worth it if you value trees and water. Really need to get up towards the Sierra for that this time of year.

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Yah it's been pretty dry do maybe asking to much for swim water.

Heading up to the Sequoias in two weeks! Can't wait.

What about any lakes to hike to? I was looking some up but it seems that all of them are surrounded my roads now…

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Was just reading about Vivian Creek? Anyone have any experience hikin here? Would you recommend it?

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Locale: San Gabriel Mtns

Could backpack to Sespe Hot springs from the Piedras Blancas TH in the Sespe Wilderness.

Also, more of a one-nighter, but you could backpack to the Bridge to Nowhere above Azusa. Plenty of trees and flowing water but short hike and a fair amount of people.

I am sure there are more options with water, cmon people!

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

"Hope to find something with trees for hammock sleeping and water that we can swim in."

SC isn't exactly known for lakes and forest. You can't do hammocks at our beaches that I know of. And bodies of water away from beaches… we have Salton Sea, but it's hot as hell out there this time of year…

I would second San Gorgornio.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

You could also hike up to the Fishbowls from the Piedras Blancas trailhead in the Sespe Wilderness. The Fishbowls are deep rock pools in a creek. You can jump in. Lots of nice trees, too. Probably a longer drive than you want, though.

What about Devils Punchbowl near Littlerock? Are there pools to jump in there?

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Not sure if Fishbowls is a good idea since there was a fire yesterday at Lake Piru, and the fishbowls are on Piru Creek. Not sure how close they are but I wouldnt chance it.

Brandon Sanchez

@dharmabumpkin

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

Piru Fire is a non-issue for the Fishbowls area; they're at opposite ends of Piru Creek (~70 miles apart), although I'd agree with Diane that getting to the TH for the Fishbowls is probably farther than the OP wants to drive. There's no easy direct route there.

As a further hindrance to local summertime Socal hiking, like others have said, temps get high and water levels get low. Even the larger, more reliable creeks and streams in the Southern Los Padres are drying up (in places). You will still find pools and sections with running water, but it's hit or miss.

The southern Sierra, entering from either the west side (near Poterville, Springville or Kernville) or from the east side around Olancha keeps you in pretty close to LA/OC and should be a lot more pleasant this time of year. Plenty of water in the Kern and Little Kern. No permit hassles for Sequoia NF (as opposed to Sequoia NP) either…

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Thanks guys for all your help!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools