Topic

Cathedral Lakes to Clouds Rest mileage?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Cathedral Lakes to Clouds Rest mileage?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Luke H.

@scraps111

Can anyone tell me about how many miles it is from Cathedral Lakes trailhead to Clouds Rest? How many miles to Sunrise Lakes? Thank you.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

It kind of depends on whether you stick to the trail or take some of the more interesting shortcuts. To the trail junction west of Sunrise Lakes, it is about 9.5 miles. If you continue to Clouds Rest, it will be a little over 13 miles. I guess you know that there are shorter routes, like from Tenaya Lake.

–B.G.–

Luke H.

@scraps111

Thanks, I have heard about the trail from Tenaya, but my permit is for the Cathedral Lakes trailhead. I haven't heard about any of the other alternate routes though. Thanks again.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I guess if you hold a permit, then use it.

If I were going to Clouds Rest, I would get a permit to start from the west end of Tenaya Lake. That takes you up to the trail junction west of Sunrise Lakes, but it is only several miles. You would save something like 5 miles one way.

But, what do I know? I've gone up that way from Tenaya maybe five times, and the way from Cathedral maybe five times, and then shortcuts maybe three times.

–B.G.–

Luke H.

@scraps111

Thanks, I thought about doing it that way also, but I was looking for a longer hike. Are the shortcuts off trail?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Are the shortcuts off trail?"

Yes. One good one cuts from Upper Cathedral Lake up to Tressider Peak and down to Sunrise Lakes.

One goes from the south side of Columbia Finger, turns north through Long Meadow, and up over the hill to Mildred Lake. Then from Mildred, you can easily wander over to Sunrise Lakes.

From Tenaya Lake, we would go up the hill by trail to the west end of Sunrise Lakes, then over to Mildred Lake, then straight down to Tenaya Lake for the return.

Hardly anybody goes to these places since there are no complete official trails.

Or, to quote Yogi Berra: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

–B.G.–

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools