Topic

Hike recommendations in the San Bernidino Mountains…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Hike recommendations in the San Bernidino Mountains…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Anyone know of any good 2 night hikes in these mountains? Hopefully something where we can potentially swim at some point and lots of trees. Done the Bridge to Nowhere but nothing else in the area.

Thanks!

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

Hello, I don't know of any swimming in those mountains but Mt. San Gorgornio via forest falls is a good 1-2 night 18 mile round trip to the 11K foot summit trip.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

The Snow Creek section of the PCT near Wildwood has trees up high and even Snow Creek itself has a pool or two. I know, I helped build that section from scratch as a professional trail builder in 1980. (Yeah, I'm a geezer now.)

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Thanks Eric! Wheres the trailhead exactly?

So trees are good enough for hammock sleeping?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

@Eric

What pools? Oh, maybe you mean the Snow Creek drainage…a bit off trail.

@Austin

Your best bet this time of year if probably to take the logging road up from Idlewild to Fuller Ridge. Here's the location:

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=33.840404,-116.736038&t=t2&z=15&hillshade=18&coord=latlng&directions=off&mylocation=off&label=off&layers=off&screen=auto&streetview=on

Be aware that some of the area along the Snow Creek drainage is property of the water authority and they don't like trespassers.

Or park in Idlewild at Humber Park and hike up the mountain.

If you start and end from the drinking fountain at Snow Creek, you could go a little east and take a dip in Whitewater River. There might not be much or any water though. I took a dip in February and was surprised at how low the water already was. I had to lay down to get fully wet. I'm not sure where you'd park though. You should be allowed to park along the road next to the gate.

Steven Hall
    BPL Member

@lundquistas

Thanks guys, sounds like there may not be much water there. I'm going to start a new post and open up the area to greater SoCal to see if I get more ideas.

Thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools