Topic

Grrrrr. GoLite raises prices on previously out of stock items. Boo.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Grrrrr. GoLite raises prices on previously out of stock items. Boo.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Bill Rose

@brnpa

Locale: Philly suburbs

Just needed to vent: I've been waiting all summer for the 3-season down quilt to be re-stocked, which finally happened this week. But, the $149.99 price is now $199.99, raised just prior to the new stock being offered. Anyone have a 20% or 25% coupon they're not using? :)

Bill Rose

@brnpa

I hate to answer my own post but I just saw the link to Tim's quilts at Enlightened Equipment. Need to check them out before I pull the trigger on possibly an inferior quilt at GoLite. :)

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

When they dropped prices they sold out of about everything it seemed. I dont think they will sell as much at higher prices. Some things were a great deal, but at higher prices wont be.

Leo Shim

@devourcookies

Are you set on GoLite sleeping bags?

I work for CampGear.com and we are currently being encouraged to share our personal coupon codes (not advertised).

It's for 30% off. Give me the go ahead and I'll give you the code.

robert v
    BPL Member

@mtnbob123

Locale: Bristol Bay Alaska

I love Golite for some stuff, but the quilt from Tim is far better for a similar price!!!!! Love Mine!!

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Yeah, I wanted to get some clothing but it's been out of stock for a while… now it's in and the price shot up!

Bobby Lee

@rblee

Hey Bill, this should be a no-brainer now, go with Tim! He is around the same price or cheaper and not made in China, higher quality craftsmanship

Justin Tadych

@oshburg

Locale: Midwest

I just ordered my second quilt from Tim. Ordered a zero* back in January. Loved it so much just ordered a 40* overstuffed yesterday. Can't wait for it to arrive!

Tim Drescher
    BPL Member

@timdcy

Locale: Gore Range

If it were me and I were set on Golite, I'd call and complain ask for their previous price. Kind of redic thing to do when you know people may be waiting on you to re-stock.

That being said, go with the crowd and buy a quilt from Tim.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Wow, Really? I am a very cheap skinflint but it isn't like they raised the price alot. For a long time it was about $300 or so unless you had a coupon. Even with a 40% off coupon mine was still $175ish. It dipped down just this year and they sold out of the ones at $150 very fast and they have been out of them for months on end. Now they have them back with a $50 bump up. Still not that bad for a quilt of that nature. Lowest cost I have seen on one and that includes Tim's unless you are talking about the seconds. Nothing against Tim in the least also, he does make quality stuff. Maybe they had more costs now and were getting rid of older stock then? If you don't like the price I am sure Nunatak or Feathered Friends will sell you one for over $400 if you ask nicely.

Bill Rose

@brnpa

Yup, I did that, both called and emailed GoLite. Same answer: Our costs of doing business have gone up and so have our prices. I just looked at Tim's Revelation X. Very nice! Fired off an email to him with some questions. Could have it ordered by the weekend. :)

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I think going from $149 to $199 qualifies as "a lot" to many. Thats 33% on the 1 season bag.

Their costs did not go up that amount in a couple of months, they would be out of business. They are charging more, because they think they can get more based on the success with lower prices. At least thats my take on it.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Supply and Demand

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Nobody thought they were cutting it in half forever did they? They started selling direct and to make sure that was a success they made if a killer deal. But now they price it still well bellow MOST other quilts which to me still seams great compared to the old price. Just think of it like a sale ended. You can't get mad about ittgats life. Great deals don't last forever, and I for one am glad ;)

-Tim

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Doesnt bother me either. Most of their gear is simply not what I am looking for, and is a bit heavy.

I could be swayed to accept a couple ounce penalty at the right price, but at the wrong price, no way.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

could be karma for the mass of threads of people looking for the additional 20% off coupons….

Patrick Baker
    BPL Member

@f1prb22

Have you seen this thread as well ?

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=54690

Manufactured right here in the USA !

My 6'6" Wide 40F with overfill (Green/Black) came in exactly at the spec weight of 20 ounces.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I think everybody here knows Tim Marshall and his quality quilts,his post is just a couple posts up from yours.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

Thayne N
    BPL Member

@teethless

Locale: Four Corners

I find it unreasonable to expect a manufacturer, of any stripe, to honor a sale price…after the sale is over!

I don't have a enlightened quilt, but I'm sure that one day I will; Price, weight, made in the USA… All things seem to add up. My buddy likes his enlightened quilt quite a bit.

Bill Rose

@brnpa

Took the weekend to review Tim's offerings and ordered a Revelation X this morning. Got the 30* with over-stuff. I think this will work for me in PA since I do a lot of "car camping" with my son's scout troop and can always add my Sea to Summit Reactor Plus liner if I need more warmth. Will definitely use it for Philmont next year! Thanks for everyone's help and pointing me to Tim. :)

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

Its so hilarious to see you all here looking for a deal on a long out of stock product. Its actually kind of funny. Given that an item was priced so well that it sold out for a long time, and then it took a lot of time for the company to make more and sell them, why would a single one of you expect it to be priced the same on its return to the market? When a company makes a product of quality, they can't just make endless amounts. There are manufacturing limits, shipping limits, investment limits, etc etc. Maybe many of you have never owned a business before. But what you can learn is that simple supply and demand is always something you can rely on. If the product is sold out for long periods, chances are that means they have trouble making enough. The logical response is NOT NECESSARILY to increase production. In fact the smart move that any company making quality goods would take is to raise the price enough to make people think twice about it. That will do a few things that are important for the company. First, it slows demand so that people who are not committed customers will not buy the products. Good move because then you, who have been waiting, can have one. Second, it allows said company to keep producing products in the same theoretically tried and true method, with the same suppliers, and with no need to increase supply to a level that may not be sustainable at the same level of quality. Third, it will allow the item to be in stock more often. Fourth, it will increase profits so that the company can then go out and try to source materials of the SAME or better quality at a higher rate but without compromising quality or the supply chain. Growth takes time, investment, and sometimes increasing prices. You should not feel special in any way or expect a deal, that's just plain ridiculous. These companies make a profit so that people can make a living, not so that you can get an underpriced item and then help them go out of business. I see so much of this kind of complaint on a daily basis especially now after the economy has been in the $&!tter and everything has been on sale. Get the point? NOT EVERYTHING IS ON SALE, and nobody owes you a price on any item. You should have called them and tried to backorder it and pay them ahead of time, always a smart move, and often the only way to get the "old" price. And I'd hate to see people speak this way about a cottage manufacturer. I guess golite can take a hit, but if everyone expected SMD or others to act this way they'd all be out of business. Why don't some of you try a MYOG quilt instead? Definitely will save some money if you can follow simple instructions from other forums here…

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools